Author Topic: Hello from a new Star Ruler!  (Read 2326 times)

Bromstarzan

• View Profile
Hello from a new Star Ruler!
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »
What a great game, Star Ruler!
I recently got into this genre, via Endless Space, Sins of a Solar Empire and Star Ruler 2, I ended up liking Star Ruler (1) . I certainly have a long way to go, but starting to get the hang of it (I'm a sim fanatic - usually playing DCS, SB Pro PE, Assetto Corsa etc), so I have a lot of new stuff to learn. Much I can probably gain by reading here on the forum, but trying to skip ahead a bit, I would like to ask a couple of "start-out-questions" to see if people still hanga around here (despite Star Ruler 2 being out).

I seem to understand the game mechanics in its basic form after a few (~4-5hrs) ingame. I manage to keep my figures at a surplus to evolve as a starsystem etc. Building ships and keeping colonizing at a low level to bring up my "homeworld" to a decent level. I set the AI to low and put a limit on the max no of ships just to focus on creating a "functioning" world that can do research, eat and be happy.

Now, my first concrete question: The strength level of each star system is indicated by colored "blips" circling the system. I imagine when it goes all the way around, you have a very strong system. As I worked my way through a game I saw 1, then 2, then 2.5 blips being colored in as I built a couple of fleets containing somewhere around 20-30 ships each. Suddenly, the blips started to disappear, going down to 2, then 1.5 to end up on a half bar. I just could not understand what makes this tick? I built more ships and made bigger ship layouts, but the blip remained at half a bar. Could anyone shed some light on what this indicator really depends on and if it is a good thing trying to push for a full circle?

Thanks for reading, and again, I'm happy I found this gem of a game.

antibor

• View Profile
Re: Hello from a new Star Ruler!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 01:01:33 AM »
I quickly abandoned using that bar for anything else than giving a hint whether I am stronger in that system than others, without clicking on the system. I have no idea about the logic behind, but I would assume as the overall strength went up, the bips were upscaled.
There is definitely no point going for a full circle, late game two bips can be stronger than whole AI empires.

Bromstarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:20:29 AM »
Thank you, antibor, for your answer!

Good to see some people still lurking the "old" Star Ruler forum.
Ok, so I should not really pay much attention to it then. Rather count the vessels by numbers and classes I guess. As I saw, the official term for the circle indicator is "Military presence", but also "Star system strength level". It would be good if the indicator actually did it's job and not cause confusion? Oh, well, I'll keep my eye on it to see what really makes it go up. The surprise was when it went down while still constructing more ships... Maybe it is relative to other (enemy) star systems passing me in military strength that shows as a drop?

4 quick questions:
1. Would you advise me to install the Galactic Armor mod straight away to have a better start-off experience, or should I see it as extra candy once I've enjoyed default game for a while?

2. For the first 2-3 hrs of gameplay, do you consider it necessary to fiddle with new ship layouts/sizes? Or better build on the default?

3. To avoid economic collapse, what figures are the most important to keep an eye on?

4. I lost a planet in my home system after an hours gameplay and can't figure why? What are the possible reasons for that (there was no attack)?  I could quite quickly re-colonize it again though.

Thanks again for staying with me in Star Ruler 1. I will probably head over to SR 2 in a while, but I just like the UI and graphics in SR1 so much better - totally fell in love with the starmap and icons :) (more simplistic visuals).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:24:04 AM by Bromstarzan »

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:31:40 AM »
What a great game, Star Ruler!
I recently got into this genre, via Endless Space, Sins of a Solar Empire and Star Ruler 2, I ended up liking Star Ruler (1) . I certainly have a long way to go, but starting to get the hang of it (I'm a sim fanatic - usually playing DCS, SB Pro PE, Assetto Corsa etc), so I have a lot of new stuff to learn. Much I can probably gain by reading here on the forum, but trying to skip ahead a bit, I would like to ask a couple of "start-out-questions" to see if people still hanga around here (despite Star Ruler 2 being out).

First of all, welcome to the forums and the Star Ruler community :)

And it's always nice to see more sim fanatics joining our ranks :D I guess a game like Star Ruler, with it's Newtonian movement model and all, tends to attract people who enjoy some good ol' realism. :D

Ok, so I should not really pay much attention to it then. Rather count the vessels by numbers and classes I guess. As I saw, the official term for the circle indicator is "Military presence", but also "Star system strength level". It would be good if the indicator actually did it's job and not cause confusion? Oh, well, I'll keep my eye on it to see what really makes it go up. The surprise was when it went down while still constructing more ships... Maybe it is relative to other (enemy) star systems passing me in military strength that shows as a drop?

To be honest I'm not sure how exactly it works, either, but I do agree that it's probably relative strength rather than absolute. As you no doubt have noticed, tech level plays a huge role in this game. I assume that as the average tech level among all factions goes up, so does the scale of the military presence indicator. Considering that you go through multiple magnitudes of order when it comes to firepower (or anything else) in this game, it's no wonder the scale changes so quickly over time. :D

4 quick questions:
1. Would you advise me to install the Galactic Armor mod straight away to have a better start-off experience, or should I see it as extra candy once I've enjoyed default game for a while?

No, I definitely advise you to stick to vanilla for a few games. Once you feel comfortable with the game mechanics, by all means go ahead and try the mod! One word of warning though - many mechanics are very complex, sometimes overly so, and unfortunately there's no complete up to date manual; however, the mod does provide some extra information through the in-game stellarpedia, as well as subsystem descriptions. And if that's not enough, you can always ask in these forums! :)

2. For the first 2-3 hrs of gameplay, do you consider it necessary to fiddle with new ship layouts/sizes? Or better build on the default?

It's maybe not necessary, but it doesn't hurt if you know what you're doing. Upscaling some designs may be a good idea early in the game, though it's sometimes better to scale things down or simplify them to reduce cost (i.e. colonizers - not sure about exact numbers, but you can reduce size to a certain point - if you don't mind having less starting population on new colonies - and make subsystems smaller if you want). Also, once you unlock more and more advanced subsystems (i.e. fusion and antimattor reactors) you probably want to utilize these in your designs ASAP.

3. To avoid economic collapse, what figures are the most important to keep an eye on?

Expansion isn't really my strong suit (especially not in vanilla ;D) but I'd say your rate of expansion. Slow and steady wins the race; you have to be colonizing constantly, but at such a rate that your economy can support the new, growing colonies.

4. I lost a planet in my home system after an hours gameplay and can't figure why? What are the possible reasons for that (there was no attack)?  I could quite quickly re-colonize it again though.

That's a good question to which I don't have an equally good answer, unfortunately. :(
Been a while since I played SR1, so I may have forgotten something.

Thanks again for staying with me in Star Ruler 1. I will probably head over to SR 2 in a while, but I just like the UI and graphics in SR1 so much better - totally fell in love with the starmap and icons :) (more simplistic visuals).

Yeah, both games are great in their own way. Overall as a game I do prefer SR2 as I think it's more complete right out-of-the-box as a game - plus it has nearly unlimited modding potential - but for some reason it doesn't draw me in as SR1 did. Though, in all fairness, I've spent so many hours playing (and modding) Star Ruler 1 that I can't bring myself to play it anymore ;)

Bromstarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »
Many thanks for your answers and comments XTRMNTR2K!
I will take it slow and enjoy the details trying to figure things out. After all, that's what I like in games, figure out the nuts & bolts. This time I just needed a a little direction. Will probably scan the forums for tips from time to time. Even if the sequel is out (SR2), I feel SR1 is more my cup of tea at the moment.

I like the sandbox aspect and just want to be able to fence of any hostiles. More concrete questions will probably follow as I dig deeper into the game. For me, SR1 is quite timeless, so me being 3-4 years late doesnt matter with this title. Still great!

Thanks again, your presence here proves the game still delivers. Although the in-game chat is quite empty these days  ;D.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:44:09 AM by Bromstarzan »

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
Did you do something with that planet? Normally planets do not die, unless you for example remove the planetary capital and all cities.
After four hours you should be ready to design your own layouts, especially as XTRMNTR2K said, the starting designs use starting technology and even that gets better over time. First I recommend to take a stock design and think about what it cannot deliver. Designing your ships is quite cool. Well, even if it can happen that you loose them an masse because you forget an aspect ... That is the learning curve.

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 11:16:23 AM »
Well, removing the capital and not having access to food might also cause loosing the planet.

Bromstarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 12:54:39 AM »
I did not remove any cities manually, especially not the capital. There was no low in food. However, I did experiment with the govenor and a Military world just prior to where I "lost control". I do not have all the facts on the table about my doings before it happened (just to much going on in this game) so I'm not saying it was not logical, just unexpected as seen from a newbee without a clue  ;D.

I do like these little twists and turns, and yes it belongs to the learning curve. I just wish my govenors could tell me what I did wrong, hehe. I'm trying to iron out the major pitfalls so I can enjoy the phases of the later stages in the game.

One thing I noticed (in one game attempt) was that the enemy scouts came in across my "empire" flying like 20 times faster than my ships. Naturally, I went to the design table to see what kind of engines I could refit my own ships with. Reading the Wiki and putting all Research resourses on propulsion and travel technology. At that stage I should probably have focused on "defence" instead of trying to catch up with their technology. This is something I really like. In hindsight, I was really stupid  ;D.

I thank you for your advice, very much appreciated!

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 02:01:21 AM »
Loosing a planet is not only surprising to you. I built a fuel depot and switched off import. Normally a planetary capital alone can provide food for 8-17 million people, however if ships are taking fuel from the planet, the fuel depot might eat that food completely if it does not go offline due to lack of population. Still strange.

Speed is very subjective. The longer the distance the higher the speed will be and the speed will be the highest around halfway of the distance. You should worry less about high speed fly by than incoming ships slowing down approaching your systems. The latter ships want to do something there that is usually not in line with your plans.

Bromstarzan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 03:16:13 AM »
Thanks antibor!
I will experiment a little with the game startup conditions so that I don't get eaten alive every time. I guess by limiting ship size and numbers would prevent my enemies from getting to far ahead :).
I did read the posts about starting game strategies and will try to follow the concept of focus mining metals, electricity, and so on.

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »
I assume you completed the tutorial. I read here that setting one of the AIs to belong to the same team as you can give a rough idea how the others progress (when they start to build up military).

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »
Generally the AI will target the least defended opponent team. So the only thing you really need to do is have a slightly larger defense force than the next guy and you will be left alone.
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.