Author Topic: [ATI Users] Disable Catalyst AI  (Read 21376 times)

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: [ATI Users] Disable Catalyst AI
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
A screenshot would help. It sounds like your textures are being forcefully rescaled by the drivers, even though we specifically avoided that known issue with ATI when creating GUI assets.

orzelek

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »
Strange thing is that none of options available in game and in drivers seem to affect this effect.
And the distortion itself changes when window is moved around the screen.
Letter blurring seems to disregard screen position.

Edit: My GPU is Radeon 6950
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:28:27 AM by orzelek »

fxfighter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
That's the same issue I have by the looks and it makes the game pretty much unplayable as I start to get a headache after attempting to read the blurry text for a bit. (2x 6970s)

systemscrash

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
this new version (1.0.8.2) broke parts of my UI, before if i turned catalyst ai, i could see all the icons i need to play the game. Now i cant see them even if i disable it.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
this new version (1.0.8.2) broke parts of my UI, before if i turned catalyst ai, i could see all the icons i need to play the game. Now i cant see them even if i disable it.

If you installed the patch to the Steam version, that's the problem - it isn't fully compatible. If you didn't, I recommend reinstalling, and redownloading recent patches.

systemscrash

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
Its fixed, thank you.

Valerian

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
This game looks great ! But sadly i have an ATI card :/

My card is an HD 5770 on win7 64, and i experience the most common problem with ATI cards : planet and ship icons disappearing a few second after game start, or never appearing at all.
I also have the same disappearing problem with the green direction lines, either thoses showing the current ship course, and i cant even see the destination height line even by holding CTRL.
Those problems might not be linked because lines disappear a few seconds after icons.

Without lines and icons, quite hard to play ^^

I tried a lot of ATI settings, even completely disabling AI by editing profiles.xml (tutorial here : http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/features/how-to-disable-catalyst-ai-with-the-latest-ccc) but nothing changed at all.

Finally I managed to find some kind of workaround by putting an older atioglxx.dll in star ruler folder, from old catalyst drivers (9.11).
It partially correct the problem, by replacing the missing icons with some random garbled texture, changing with each game session, and lines are present but barely visible (might be an antialiasing issue, i still have to make some tests).

here is a screenshot with planets on background and some cruisers on foreground :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if needed the catalyst 9.11 win7/vista 64bit dll i am using : atioglxx.dll - 2.5 Mb

with 9.10 and previous drivers the game will not be able to launch, and starting from 9.12 up to 11.6 the bugs are still there :/

Would it be possible to provide a command-line option for choosing opengl version, or maybe even other irrlicht versions if possible ?
If you could make a simple compatibility mode by trying to use different ways of rendering lines and icons that might do the trick !

I am open to anything to help you resolving this issue, and i am sure that a lot of people in the community would gladly make a donation to get you an ATI card ^^.

In the meantime i think i will try to buy a secondhand geforce card :/ ...

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 10:41:41 PM »
I don't think it is possible to use an older version of OpenGL. The program simply asks the graphics card what version is running, and any available addons for various rendering utilities.

Do the icons still render incorrectly with shaders disabled?

Valerian

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:36 PM »
I tried a lot of settings, and of course minimal settings with shader disabled, still no change :/

If that can help you, i have no icons at all with shader disabled on my downgraded driver.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:15:10 PM by Valerian »

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
Unfortunately, that just makes it worse. If even no-shaders exhibits the problem, I can't even begin to guess how to solve it.

Valerian

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
I just completely downgraded my drivers to catalyst 10.4 which is known as a good version for opengl, it now works perfectly, and i even have better performance !
(with catalyst AI off, of course)

Maybe it is due to ATI including opengl 4.1 support in 10.12 drivers, so when Star Ruler engine switches to 4.1 it is not working as intended.
I may try 10.11 someday, but now i do not feel the need to change and i am tired of spending my whole day fixing opengl ^^

greywolf

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »
Just saw this discussion. I know that Star Ruler works well at least on 2 very different PCs with an ATI card (a big Vista desktop with an AMD processor, and an old IBM Intel Thinkpad running under XP). The thread tells very mixed stories, too, about SR working or not working on various PCs with ATI cards. My conclusion is that the problem cause is very likely not ATI, or at least not ATI alone, but possibly ATI plus something else.
How about leaving the history of how bad ATI and OpenGL work together aside (or continuing the debate elsewhere), and focussing on the problem and its solution instead?
Before anyone asks: I myself can’t help. Just felt sorry about a discussion going wrong in my mind.

Firgof

• BMS Administrator
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 02:59:36 AM »
The problem with the problem is that what we've got is a murder mystery without any remaining leads; just vague hints that point in various directions but at nothing in particular.  All our usual diagnostic tools are useless and give us no relevant information.  We've looked at our usual suspects but have come up with nothing.  If there's something wrong with ATI's implementation of a particular set of instructions within the context of GLSL we would be unable to locate it as they've gone "rogue" from the standard.  We would need to ask them for their full implementation of GLSL: something they're not willing to casually hand out I'd wager or be unable to if it varies from card to card.

Also: we have no proof to bring to them, so we are likely to simply be dismissed.  Looking historically and to what has 'fixed' the problem to some degree in the past and present: ATI is a strong suspect.  That Catalyst AI being turned off prevents a large score of problems with rendering in Star Ruler on some of ATI's cards works means that there's something at the very least wrong there, if not outright faulty.  But even if we knew it was a problem with Catalyst AI, we couldn't likely do anything to prevent it on our end.  We don't know anything about Catalyst AI or how it's programmed; or how it's causing the problem.  It's a black box that we'd have to prod for a long time to  figure it out.  By the time we did we'd be many versions out of date thus wasting everyone's time.  That's optimistic as I'm assuming that every Catalyst AI implementation is the same.

This is not even looking at user hardware/software interaction.  If there's something wrong with how something is interacting with something else we would need to borrow their computer as it would be impossible to extremely difficult to replicate their issue without their setup.  Even then:  It may be something we can do nothing about.  For example: missing shader instructions from custom implementations of GLSL.  Or Operating System errors.  Or strange interactions with Antivirus software and so on.

The problem with the problem is that there is no one solution.  If we knew what was going on here, we'd have already fixed this problem.  We've already put a lot of time into deciphering it and got nowhere in a hurry.  In the end, it comes down to:  Wheel our legs and try to find purchase on this enigma (and possibly not be even able to fix it) or work on Star Ruler like we said we would.

It's aggravating for us (as I'm sure it's aggravating to those affected by these issues) but despite our best efforts, we've learned nothing about the underlying problem and can't justify the time investment taken away from Star Ruler's development for what may be a wild goose chase.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:17:10 AM by Firgof »
"Now it will punish you"

orzelek

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »
Short note: installing of Catalyst 11.8 seems to fix the blurring problem I had with text. Nothing about OpenGL fixes was mention in it's release notes... but it seems someone noticed the issue and fixed it at least.

NeedHelp

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:39 PM »
for those who are having problems disabling AI use this program..

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/

You can set up a profile that will disable it.

It did not work for me but it may work for others

Good luck and best wishes to developers.