Author Topic: Multiple People Simultaneously Play a Single Empire  (Read 4045 times)

Bedard

• View Profile
Multiple People Simultaneously Play a Single Empire
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
I have always been one to promote this idea. In Star Ruler I think it could work perfectly. You have this vast interstellar empire to manage over hundreds or thousands of stars. So why not have your best freind or a good partner help you manage them all. Perhaps even more then one other person. Why not all four people?

I loved this feature in games like "Hearts of Iron III" and even some much older games like "Real War Rouge States" Along with it being an interesting idea it can also help to make the game more manageable on the larger scales and from my own point of view and can create a much more enjoyable expereince. You dont have to hecktecly manage 10 fleets and worry about the state of your galactic economy at the same time. Jobs can be compartmentalized and managed with more care and finesse. This ofcourse is just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:36:26 AM by Bedard »

Bedard

• View Profile
Re: Simultainious Play of a Single Empire
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:42:35 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm kind of wondering if this is even possible at this point?

Meff

• View Profile
Re: Multiple People Simultaneously Play a Single Empire
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »
I support this, being a big fan of HoI III. myself. +1

aloha2436

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:55:37 AM »
I love this idea, it would just help so much.

Bedard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »
I love this idea, it would just help so much.

I know, I've always found that you can really focus your attention and manage things so much more effectively. It also gives you the chance to enjoy the game. Even if you can only have two people managing simultaneously rather then all four that cuts the workload in half. Also there is no lack for responsibilities in this game. It's not like someone will just be sitting there, there is always something to do be it military, economic or colonial. Even research can be effectively divided up. And its not like people would have to use this feature they could choose not to. SO from my perspective it seems like a great change/addition they could do at some point.

Profound_Darkness

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
I am also for this idea.

My experience with this goes way back to star craft (first one).  There was also Ground Control 2 but that wasn't quite team play... close though.

lostami

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
You have my support... for what little it's worth :P

Bedard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
You have my support... for what little it's worth :P

All support is worth its weight in gold. No idea ever grows unless give credence... Honestly I've gotten more support then i ever thought that i would have. I really hope this idea catches on and becomes a feature.

Newonemax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
Signed.

nuff' said.

wastedfate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 12:53:58 AM »
I really like this idea. A major improvement on co-op, the AI has the advantage of being a computer, so it can manage enormous numbers of solar systems without hesitating, allowing people to play as a single empire, and pool research, resources, ships, etc. seems nice. It just seems that it would be hard to balance if you tried to take it vs. other humans. But it seems amazing as a co-op feature.

Saberuneko

• Spanish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 02:15:07 AM »
You can do somehow do something similar already, just try adding two (or more) allied empires with same player color to the game, it surely will look like you are sharing the same empire, divided in parts for each person.

Bedard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
You can do somehow do something similar already, just try adding two (or more) allied empires with same player color to the game, it surely will look like you are sharing the same empire, divided in parts for each person.

This is true but as you said "will look like you are". As I am sure that would involve the person maintaining all of the same responsibilities as before. This concepts main goal is to divide up the responsibilities so as to allow for more effective and efficient management of the same responsibilities.

Don't get me wrong it is a good idea as it would simulate the same thing almost like the eastern and western roman empires. But it is just not the concept i was going for in this post.

Keep up the ideas though that was nice out of the box thinking. Always need people like that.

Saberuneko

• Spanish Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »
I see... the flaw in my idea is that you will never be able to handle the other person's part.
I still like the idea of being able to "share" the empire, but... it also could generate some conflicts, just think of this possible case:

-Player A selects the fleet X and orders it to go somewhere to defend
-Player B is in a rush, an sees fleet X, so he takes it for support
-Player A doesn't find his fleet where desired, but locates it and sends it back
-Player B sees the fleet going away again...

Confusion started.

Steiner

• Star Ruler Tester (Group 2)
  • Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:03 AM »
Well, take Hearts of Iron II/III as example. If players cooped a country, they could do everything the other player could do, too. But it wasn't a problem at all, as you just communicated with your coop partner and, for example, one took over production, research, air force etc. while the other advanced the ground armies in a theater. That's the same way it has to work, here, if it will be introduced.

Current Version: 1.5.1 for SR v.1.0.6.2

Bedard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »
Well, take Hearts of Iron II/III as example. If players cooped a country, they could do everything the other player could do, too. But it wasn't a problem at all, as you just communicated with your coop partner and, for example, one took over production, research, air force etc. while the other advanced the ground armies in a theater. That's the same way it has to work, here, if it will be introduced.

Exactly, you should not Co-Op an empire if you can not communicate with your partner.... but there are built in communications systems like Chat which would make it easier and some people have voice communications outside of the normal chat that make it even easier. Coordination is key

Profound_Darkness

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
um...
I suspect we can put this suggestion in the maybe in the future pile...

assuming teams is what I think it is, 1 slot multiple players
It's not, sorry. Teams are the numbers next to players that decide who they're allied / share vision with from the start of the game. Multiple people controlling one empire in MP is something we might add later, but not for now.

Bedard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
To be honest, I really was kind of hoping i might hear from one of the Devs before i closed the thread... So I might keep it open just a little bit longer and then if I don't hear back I'll promptly close it.

Don't get me wrong profound darkness thanks for finding that.... Its just i guess i half expected a Dev or one of the other Bind Mind people to drop in and give a decisive response over the past few days. I think ill keep it open a bit longer to hear what some other people have to think and I'll close in a day or two.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
Oh sorry, since I already answered this recently in the other thread I didn't think it was necessary here, but it's basically what I said there.

It's something we might do in the future, but doesn't have a very high priority at the moment.

Yeah, not too decisive, I know. But we don't like locking things down before we figure out how to do them.

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
In my opinion it is a good idea, but I think it will be better to develop a macromanagement for one person because most people on the forum says about lack of thist feature. In late games it is annoying to manage hundreds of planets and get crazy.

Bedard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »
Oh sorry, since I already answered this recently in the other thread I didn't think it was necessary here, but it's basically what I said there.

It's something we might do in the future, but doesn't have a very high priority at the moment.

Yeah, not too decisive, I know. But we don't like locking things down before we figure out how to do them.

It's cool.... Honestly until it was brought up by Profound Darkness I never knew you answered this question. After that it really would not have mattered whether you got back to me or not was of little concern. I have to say though I am happy you did get back to me. That was very courteous of you. Although I personally think that this is the best way to go about increasing the playability of the game into the larger maps.... there are many other alternatives like Maxi just pointed out. I only hope you will give this idea the consideration it deserves along with the others when you do finally get around to addressing these game mechanics in the future.

Also just in regards to you your comment Maxi. I do think that idea will work... it basically accomplishes the same goal as my idea. The only issue i have with it is that i have always found that working with other players is more interesting and exciting as you have well the meeting of multiple minds if you will on a single task and it tends you yield better results and strategies then just the input of the one player and a computer. Either way that is a personal opinion of mine... Either systems gets the same job done I just prefer my way a bit better.

Zweibach

• Lo and behold! Cheescake!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
This is probably one of my most wanted features for multiplayer. I'm pretty happy with managing all the backstage work so to me the military is just a way to measure how well it goes for me. But with having acces to this I could do all the "boring" work and leave the fighting to my good friend.

As for ideas:

Conflicting orders: How about when a player orders a fleet it gets flagged as "Executing *order* by *player*" This way players can see what a fleet are doing and by who's orders.
With the "Sector" idea thats around you could add specific player control over a sector with options of transmitting control of a system to the other player who can then specify which sector it should belong to.

shali8

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
How about making it where in-game you can open a slot of control like military or developement. and someone can join the game in that position

zzzack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D SUPPPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111 and with attacking your self that can cause civil war XD

Did i just acccidently a sentence?

TGS

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
I would much rather just have the ability to 'give' units/planets/etc to other players IE allies. A lease treaty type would be awesome. That way you could even lease out stuff to someone to manage for you.