Author Topic: AI mimic  (Read 651 times)

joebg

• View Profile
AI mimic
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:23:47 PM »
I do not know if it is possible, but If it is possible to make the AI to be able to mimic the player in ship/fleet size,and attack patterns, it will be able actually to win a lategame battle. Like for example I have three fleets, each with 100  size 25 cruisers. The AI scouts the system, sees my fleets and tries to match it if it can, with similar fleets positioned in nearby system.
Example for attack pattern mimic: I use to attack with the describe above fleets three of tha AI's systems at once, sending one fleet in each system. Then the AI sees that, and builds three 100x25 fleets and also invades three system's of mine simultaneously.
It could be from very simple mimic behaviour to more advanced, as some of the patterns could be preserved in the AI's memory so to speak for future games.
For example, the three fleets attack pattern could be memorized and applied again. That way players can share "trained" AI's.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: AI mimic
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
The AI is implemented entirely through scripts, so while a learning AI is theoretically possible to mod in, making it perform well enough in both functionality and speed is going to be immensely challenging to program.

joebg

• View Profile
Re: AI mimic
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
I think that a very simple script as for the ships/fleets size mimic could be easier than the learning aspect.
Actions like see player fleet, count number of ships and average ship's size, and issue an order to create the same fleet and send it to face the mirrored fleet or defend nearby system.

As for the speed issue, really more advanced AI will use more CPU. The question if the simple mimic is possible (no memory, no advanced feutures), how much more CPU will it use.

By the way, if this idea could not be realized in this game, you could consider it for you next project maybe?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:40:35 PM by joebg »