Author Topic: Do Fabricators need Cargo Bays?  (Read 958 times)

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Do Fabricators need Cargo Bays?
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »
I am building Electronics Fabricator stations on Metal Mining planets.  Obviously, they have a fabricator and an exporter, and they come with "fetch metal, deposit electronics" orders (that's right, isn't it, I don't want "trade" instead of "deposit", do I?).  Do I need/benefit from the addition of a cargo bay?  I can indeed see it re-filling its cargo with metals from planet, but would the speed of electronics production/export be identical if I did not waste a cargo bay slot?

antibor

• View Profile
Re: Do Fabricators need Cargo Bays?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:43 AM »
Yes, you benefit from having the cargo bay. The logic is the same as having a cargo building on your shipbuilding world.
As a side note, the exporter silently exports, so even if you remove the fabricator, you should notice the metal level going down.

JonBrave

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 04:21:31 AM »
I am building Electronics Fabricator stations on Metal Mining planets.  Obviously, they have a fabricator and an exporter, and they come with "fetch metal, deposit electronics" orders (that's right, isn't it, I don't want "trade" instead of "deposit", do I?).
I'm beginning to wonder about the "deposit electronics" order now.  I'm assuming that means deposit the fabricated electronics on the nearest planet?  Given that I have an Export Dock on-board, should I be doing nothing, or perhaps "Trade", to get the electronics into the Galactic Bank quickest, rather than dumping them on a planet which then has to Space-Port-export?

antibor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
With an export dock on board the station will put electronics (and metal too!) to the GB without any additional AI order. So you can give its AI a fetch metal order only and watch the electronics on the economy/cargo tab going up and down again. Personally I use the deposit order in addition because it can help the planet when it builds something.