Author Topic: Noob vs pirates  (Read 1043 times)

Jusas

• View Profile
Noob vs pirates
« on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
So here I am, bought the game, completed the tutorial. Finally had the time to try it out, started a new game last night and surprise surprise, I ran into those nasty pirates. The problem is it was so early in the game that I barely had my first colonies set up with only a few small haulers built, that was all I had... and then came the pirates with overwhelming force while I didn't have a single combat ship built, I was still building up my first colonies. I basically quit the game when I saw them flooding in from all directions.

So the question is, are the pirates this aggressive all the time or did I just get extremely unlucky? If they really are this aggressive, how on earth am I supposed to start a new game and survive?

Aquila_27

• View Profile
Re: Noob vs pirates
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:21 AM »
Pirates attacky systems with lots of economy and low military.  If you had build military ship instead of hauler they would have targeted the computer player instead (supposing you were playing with computer)  If you really want those hauler early on, you can equip them with a 0.25 weapon, they will count as military ship, scaring pirates away, such low space alocated for weapon really wont hurt theire primary usefullness.  If you keep a reasonable force in each of your systems the pirate should indeed help you by attacking the computer instead.

Volley

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
hmm ... i kinda prefer saving my resources to get up economy and research instead of trying to out-build some AI in terms of military presence.
So i kinda learned to live with the Pirates. Have minimal military presence everywhere but in one system makes it very predictable where the pirates show up. So in that System you have several choices to coexist with the Pirates:
Option A) Have a Gun on every Planet in that System
Option B) Have nothing in that System that the Pirates could steal.
I even had a multiplayer game once i knew i had lost, so i went for:
Option C) Feed the Pirates with all you can spare, so they annoy the hell out of your opponents.

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »
hmm ... i kinda prefer saving my resources to get up economy and research instead of trying to out-build some AI in terms of military presence.
So i kinda learned to live with the Pirates. Have minimal military presence everywhere but in one system makes it very predictable where the pirates show up. So in that System you have several choices to coexist with the Pirates:
Option A) Have a Gun on every Planet in that System
Option B) Have nothing in that System that the Pirates could steal.
I even had a multiplayer game once i knew i had lost, so i went for:
Option C) Feed the Pirates with all you can spare, so they annoy the hell out of your opponents.

Pirates build more ships out of what they steal, feeding them is just making them stronger and more annoying. Planet guns are good at taking them out since they don't shoot at planets, but space stations are better as they raise the military presence and will make them target someone else.
Maker of FRB mod.