Author Topic: Coming Soon...!  (Read 16052 times)

diencephalon

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Coming Soon...!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »
Phenomenal, and your OS is buried in 50+ games and their Steam DRM just after it was reinstalled.

Thanks, but no thanks. So far 100% of my DD games are on GamersGate. I can also burn them on DVDs if I want to... Not that I do.

You have a very curious notion of how steam works. How anything works for that matter.

The 50+ games he's running sit in a folder called Steamapps. Should he want to reinstall his OS (as some people do periodically for whatever reason - myself it's when big OS updates are released, I don't trust Microsoft's incremental updates) he backs up that folder to a second hard drive, or whatever, then runs a format c:.

Upon reinstall of OS and Steam he copies that folder into his new Steam folder and ta-da - 50 games available for play. The OS isn't involved, so nightmares of having 50 games worth of dlls plonked into sys32 are a relic of something from a long time ago.

In fact, while I'd never criticise Gamer's Gate since I love that too, the problem you seem concerned about is a lot more manifest doing it that way, since each individual game WILL install its own libraries to sys.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 04:47:13 PM by diencephalon »

Orophin

• I am a rock. I am an island.
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:23 PM »
I don't understand all this hate for steam, as it's been my platform of choice when it comes to acquiring games. It's very easy to use, very safe and secure if you're not throwing out your login info, has amazingly good deals on games, and it saves me the hassle of having to deal with sub-par service at my local video game outlet. Not to mention it keeps all my games neatly tucked into one big list, able to be downloaded and installed whenever I feel like it.

Star Ruler coming to steam is what's making me finally feel good about buying it. I don't like direct2drive, and impulse isn't as polished as steam and has a smaller catalog. I've only recently heard of gamersgate, and I'll be checking it out further later on. Well, I'll stop there as I don't like flame-baiting, and I have a feeling if I continue this'll all just devolve into one big fanboy flame-war.
The point of all this typing (my fingers hurt) was just to say that because the game is coming to steam, it's a definite purchase from me.
"He was an avalanche from an unexpected quarter. He was a thunderbolt from a clear sky."

Yugiwill100

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 03:22:29 PM »
Has something came up with the steam release? Already the 14th, yet no release on steam, sorta getting nipped at by friends whom are interested in picking it up via steam.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »
We never had a specific release date for Steam. We're currently hoping for Wednesday this week, but it may be delayed till Friday.

Yugiwill100

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
Ahh, ok, I see the mistake I made, read only what I wanted to see on the thread ><, thought it said 'released' on the 13th but was 'earliest'.

Apology about getting date's confused.

poorrabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
For those who don't understand steam:

1. Digital distribution. No CDs to install. No CDs to keep in the drive whilst playing. No screwing things up by downloading the NoCD crack for games you bought.

2. Automatic updates. Sure, they may take an extra day or two to get to you, depending on the vendor's relationship with steam, but they're automatic. No trying to figure out which version is which and which update to get. blah blah blah.

3. I can play on any machine I own. A few games are limited to something like 5 installs, but most of them you can install on any machine you have. Just login to steam, and you can play.

4. Steam installs the game for you. You don't download the installer, then install the game, and then update the game. You click buy, you click install, and steam does all the work.

5. Steam DOES NOT require a constant internet connection. I'm not sure what the authentication timeout is, but it's something like a week or two, or it may depend upon the game. I've played many games from my steam library without being connected to the net.

When Steam first started, it had it's fair share of problems, and I too avoided it. But now, it is by far the most mature, feature rich and stable of the DD vendors/platforms out there, and I've used most of them. With D2D and GamersGate, you download installers and run them yourself. For updates, you download the patches and install them yourself. And don't even get me started on EA's horrific digital distribution methods.

Impulse comes in as a close 2nd to Steam, but it's not as polished. But then it's Stardock, and they have a habit of putting things out there before they're done.

Getting on steam is good news for BMS.

Space Voyager

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 02:30:47 AM »
Can you make a hard copy and install it without internet connection?

DavidwMiller

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
  • Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 03:49:17 AM »
Can you make a hard copy and install it without internet connection?

I think that depends on the game, I think for most you can make a "hard copy" for a future install without download, but online verification is still usually required.

Personally, I prefer Impulse over Steam simply because Steam has, in the past (within the last 6 months) directly stopped me from playing my games. With my line of work, I travel alot and spend days at a time without internet. During one of these 'dry spells', Steam encountered some sort of error forcing it to close. No big deal normally, except that when I started it up again, it refused to let me play anything until I got online again to re-validate or whatever.

Wasn't a huge deal, and not one most people will ever encounter, but the experience resulted in my permanently refusing to touch any games that require I check in with a 3rd party service to operate a product that should be mine to do with as I please (possibly excluding things like mmos where the very concept of the game merits it).

Anyways, Impulse, less polished though it may be, doesn't get involved at all with the operation of the game itself, Impulse merely serves as a medium to download and patch, which is all I want.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:52:55 AM by DavidwMiller »

Space Voyager

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 04:57:48 AM »
Wasn't a huge deal,
To me it is a huge deal. I just hate this kind of... happenings. With Steam it is possible, with others you have means to prevent it.

Also creating a hard copy and installing it without internet connection is something I love having an option to do. Until recently (a year or two) I bought all my games boxed for that reason. Steam has messed up even that! For instance, you can't install Empires:Total war (box!) without installing Steam as well, and without on-line Steam registration! Well, ok, if SEGA likes it that way, they can have it, but they sure sold a copy less here. I can already say that I will NOT be buying Shogun2:TW for the same reason. It is just not an option until I have any other options open. And there are more GREAT games that are not corrupted by Steam out there than I have free time to play.

Some people actually wonder why other DD services won't sell new TW games?! Like one can expect them to sell Steam!

Ok, ok, I'm ranting... Sorry folks. But if gamers won't stand up for their rights, nobody will. Ease of use is not the ultimate "freedom" I'm looking for in a market. I'll leave that to the computer illiterate.

sethfc

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »
To me it is a huge deal. I just hate this kind of... happenings. With Steam it is possible, with others you have means to prevent it.

Also creating a hard copy and installing it without internet connection is something I love having an option to do. Until recently (a year or two) I bought all my games boxed for that reason. Steam has messed up even that! For instance, you can't install Empires:Total war (box!) without installing Steam as well, and without on-line Steam registration! Well, ok, if SEGA likes it that way, they can have it, but they sure sold a copy less here. I can already say that I will NOT be buying Shogun2:TW for the same reason. It is just not an option until I have any other options open. And there are more GREAT games that are not corrupted by Steam out there than I have free time to play.

Some people actually wonder why other DD services won't sell new TW games?! Like one can expect them to sell Steam!

Ok, ok, I'm ranting... Sorry folks. But if gamers won't stand up for their rights, nobody will. Ease of use is not the ultimate "freedom" I'm looking for in a market. I'll leave that to the computer illiterate.

Impulse is the answer.

Stardock even wrote a 'gamers bill of rights' as a way to showcase that they Literally set fourth rules they will not break. One of those is that online verification for games is never to be mandatory.

Granted updates for their companies games are only on impulse but nonetheless you don't NEED it to play. you can play offline without it running.

SpardaSon21

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 12:50:08 AM »
And games that use Steam only allow updates through Steam.
Peace is not about having a bigger stick than the other guy.  Peace is about beating the other guy with your bigger stick until he submits to your benevolent rule.

-Frequent forumite and player of both Sword of the Stars and Sins of a Solar Empire.

Space Voyager

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
'gamers bill of rights'

Yes, I love that bill. I hope at some point everybody will acknowledge it.