Author Topic: Special System Discussion  (Read 1895 times)

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
Special System Discussion
« on: July 21, 2012, 06:06:12 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm currently interested in hearing what ideas anyone may have on  current special systems (including the remnant ones) and any new ones you may like to see introduced. Again I ask for thought out ideas and not one liners, and the usual disclaimer of promising nothing but we will take everything into account.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

crys

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Special System Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
i would like every system to be usefull.

even if its just asteroids or some small 3-5 slot planets.

1. here the remnant jumpbridge systems come to mind - they are kind of useless
first there are giant remnant bases, but no defence at all? odd
i guess they can spawn remnants? or is it a teleport system? i captured just once a remnant object - so you will propably know better then me.
i dont remember now if thouse systems had a sun, but why not give them a sun, planets and some remnant defenders?

2. atleast in SR there are very few systems with a giant sun without any planets
im sure in reality there might be systems like this, but for gaming it is compleatly useless - its like playing with one less system, or even a disadvantage for nearby races.
it could propably have uses for fuel mining, but hey im sure there are lots of places you could do it too.
i would say remove thouse, or combine thouse with the asteroid field systems.

3. im sure someone would suggest a blackhole system sooner or later. sure there are blackholes out there, but would they have anymore use, then reduceing the number of usefull systems?

i thought all thouse remnant systems are all the special systems hmm, maybe someone could enlighten me? =)

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »
even if its just asteroids or some small 3-5 slot planets.

This isn't about map generation.

1. here the remnant jumpbridge systems come to mind - they are kind of useless
first there are giant remnant bases, but no defence at all? odd
i guess they can spawn remnants? or is it a teleport system? i captured just once a remnant object - so you will propably know better then me.
i dont remember now if thouse systems had a sun, but why not give them a sun, planets and some remnant defenders?

Thats not what they are about, they are called remnant because thats what they are a remnant of ancient technology, but these aren't military. If you capture two you can link them and instantly transport ships from one to the other, like jump drives but with an unlimited range and no fuel use.

2. atleast in SR there are very few systems with a giant sun without any planets
im sure in reality there might be systems like this, but for gaming it is compleatly useless - its like playing with one less system, or even a disadvantage for nearby races.
it could propably have uses for fuel mining, but hey im sure there are lots of places you could do it too.
i would say remove thouse, or combine thouse with the asteroid field systems.

Again thats map generation, not special systems.

i thought all thouse remnant systems are all the special systems hmm, maybe someone could enlighten me? =)

No, special systems are:

Remnant Jump Bridge
Superweapon Systems {Spatial, Ion, ZP}
Imperial Seat
Research Outpost
Remnant Jump Gates

Neutron Star
Unstable Star

The first set are systems that will only spawn once, the latter set are a set that will spawn multiple times. The feature of special system is that they apply a system wide effect or have something that gives a unique benefit that can't be found anywhere else.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:00:37 PM »
No, special systems are:

Remnant Jump Bridge
Superweapon Systems {Spatial, Ion, ZP}
Imperial Seat
Research Outpost
Remnant Jump Gates

Neutron Star
Unstable Star

The first set are systems that will only spawn once, the latter set are a set that will spawn multiple times. The feature of special system is that they apply a system wide effect or have something that gives a unique benefit that can't be found anywhere else.

One small correction: Remnant Jump Bridge systems are not limited to spawning only once, so the second group should look like this:

Remnant Jump Bridge System
Neutron Star
Unstable Star

losarn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
How about a brown dwarf?

it would lower the effectiveness of farms by 50% or more. and could have an effect on station solar panels.

or possibly peculiar stars, ap or bp stars.
increasing advance part and electronic construction

Panpiper

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »
How about a Remnant ringword? Or even a Dyson sphere?  Heavily defended no doubt.

A black hole, get too close to the 'star' and you're toast (not sure if that would be scriptable or not). All planets that 'might' have once been in the vicinity have been torn apart by tidal forces, leaving the system an 'insanely' rich asteroid field.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:05:19 PM by Panpiper »

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »
Ringworlds are the 'render friendly' version of dyson spheres.  honest think about camera control and object selection if we had to navigate our point of view as ships enter/leave dyson spheres =-)

Blackhole effects would be possible. The 'star' at the center of the system acting as the blackhole would just need one of its flags toggled letting the game know it needs special handling.  Then in the tick() method for ships you can just check the star of the system a ship is currently in, and if its a black hole do a distance check and apply a velocity adjustment to simulate the increased gravity well strength.

Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »
Blackhole effects would be possible. The 'star' at the center of the system acting as the blackhole would just need one of its flags toggled letting the game know it needs special handling.  Then in the tick() method for ships you can just check the star of the system a ship is currently in, and if its a black hole do a distance check and apply a velocity adjustment to simulate the increased gravity well strength.

Doesn't need a flag, you can check a system and see if a specific effect is present, you could also do it directly in engine tick functions instead of adding additional tick's on the ship.

Gravity effects are fine, I will never do an instant kill style special system because without pathing the AI would lose fleets and fleets to it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:53:34 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

-Ue_Carbon

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
Then I suggest you dont make it a black hole per se. But maybe give the larger stars systems that naturaly spawn within the game a increased gravity.

Super Red Giants for a name?

How about a star with high solar activity in the form of flairs and burst etc etc, give a reduction to repair/sheild regen and possibly reduces labor/pop growth.

Since those burst or radiation would something your people would have to work around and some other fluff.

Yugiwill100

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
Special system's. How about a indirect instant victory system in the similar concept to what Sins Rebellion has. (The Occupation victory) I suspect that in this game it would be a remnant upgraded version of a ringworld, perhaps in a dyson sphere. Could have monstrous defense's to boarding, or could be on the outskirt's of the map isolated from standard pathing of the AI, and has perhaps some of the strongest defense's of the remnant special systems.

Just a loose idea for another special system.

PrawnWonton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
You didn't want one liners, but it is really hard to flesh out ideas properly when I am ignorant of what is and isn't possible to do with modding.  So, whatever.  Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Some sort of Remnant spy system thing.  Perhaps a targetable "weapon" like the Ion Cannon, but instead reveal fog of war for the targeted system?  Or hack a specific faction and reveal all their territory for X amount of time.  Or maybe reveal a large area of the map.  Something along those lines.

Rouge AI/Drone homeworld.  You capture it, and then you can send waves of drone ships to attack target systems.  Would probably be best if it had no diplomatic penalties, so you could raid factions you are a peace with.

Mercenary/Pirate homeworld.  Similar to the above, but with pirates (they already exist so it might be easier).

Remnant Shipyard.  You capture/repair it, and it will slowly churn out large Remnant ships for you, at no cost.  The ships could be the current Remnant research level, or player research level + a few.  That would keep the ships from becoming too obsolete.

Drug Lab.  Like the Research Outpost, make it give mad bonuses to goods/luxuries, or otherwise straight up make your population happier/more productive.  Or, better yet, have it send freighters to a targeted world, and when they arrive, the productivity on the planet tanks hard, due to everyone being crack heads.  Again, possibly no diplomatic penalty.

Advanced manufacturing.  Perhaps a big Remnant dry dock, or a planet.  Ships you build here are made at a higher level of technology than what you have.  Probably nothing too drastic, but +2-4 levels on everything would be neat.  It would make ships you build there 20-40% better than otherwise, so it would be worth it to use and defend.

Superweapon idea:  A huge ass derelict Remnant ship (like scale 3000-5000+ or something).  Make it pretty awesome to be worthy of "superweapon" status, of course.  Make it cost a lot to repair and bring online, maybe not Ringworld-expensive, but it should be a very large investment of time and resources.

Superweapon idea:  A big Remnant mind control tower thingy.  Capture it, repair it, and use it to capture enemy ships across the galaxy.  Maybe make it target a system, or single ships, or AoE with a % chance to capture or something.

Superweapon idea:  Galactic Bank terminal.  For x amount of time, all galactic bank exports of target enemy planet (or system?) are siphoned into your bank account instead.  No diplomatic penalty.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
My "cool idea!" sense is tingling.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
i am liking the derelict ship monster and the pirate home base.

-  ship scrap yard/ junk yard/ battle wreckage. Pieces of ship hulls and general scraps flying around the system. Could be mined for resources or salvaged for research boost/tech recovery. Maybe 1-2 big ships that could actually be repaired. All planets are glassed and radiated, but generate high research/resource bonuses from the advanced tech lying around the place.

- the overused hive queen. Have a giant space dwelling  bug infestation that attack in swarms. Big queen lives in an asteroid ( totally not sword of the stars idea  ;D ). I can have a shot at making the models for the bugs.

- Remnant mine field. the whole system is saturated with very small ships that are loaded with anti-matter generators and set to attack at close range. As soon as you shoot one down , it explodes in a massive fireball, setting off chain reactions in all the drones near you. In the middle is a big remnant base that replenishes the field and holds some valuable secret - ???
Check out my Mirage shipset for Star ruler and Galactic Armory.
link under my name.

losarn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 07:48:53 AM »
Scenic System (or nebula) : the system provides a bonus to population happiness.

halfabandaid

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
Drug Lab.  Like the Research Outpost, make it give mad bonuses to goods/luxuries, or otherwise straight up make your population happier/more productive.  Or, better yet, have it send freighters to a targeted world, and when they arrive, the productivity on the planet tanks hard, due to everyone being crack heads.  Again, possibly no diplomatic penalty.

Happier, but every 3 minutes it rolls a check, if it passes(low chance) your labor production is halved until the next check, or instead of affecting labor, it cuts your population.

losarn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
spatial anomaly- spaceports reduced to 30% trade due to navigational hazards

losarn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »
Irradiated system- population reduced by 50%

Lovs2smuge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »
A Suggestion i would have is to change the way the Remnant Gate Systems currently operate and make them less predictable. I would make it so that the gates are already linked but to random systems with Gates. As you advance in your understanding of the technology you can handle it better and choose your own links. This could have some interesting effects if two home systems end up having Gates in them.

Other suggestions would be a bigger variety of star types but this is more of a Map Generation Suggestion.