Author Topic: Exploration Discussion  (Read 2959 times)

DattMuffinMan

• View Profile
Re: Exploration Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
Well here is my two bits on how I would want exploration to work.

This would add a new feature to the game, probability of flight failure to extra solar bodies. Your home system of course will be fully explored all the data about planets/ ability to colonize will be there. It will also not have the chance of flight failure.

Probability of flight failure will mean that if you send a ship into a extra solar body without any sensory, it will have a 10% chance of succesfull flight. If the ship isn't so lucky, it will turn into a ghost ship and orbit the outer reaches of solar system until destroyed. Flight failure will also apply to ships with FTL drives.

So you will need to have scout ships, based upon the TL level, and the size of sensory aboard the chances of entering extra solar bodies without turning into ghost ships will go up. TL1 sensory will have a base modifier of 10% adding up to give a ship a 20% chance of succesfull flight. And as you up your technology the modifier will go up by 0.5%(negitoable to change to make gameplay faster).

Now if your scout ship has made it to the system, it can simply see the solar system. The base chance for bad flights will remain, to remove this modifier you need to create a surveyor ship with a minimuim of scale 10(required for subsystem Survey station), the idea is that the survey station holds hundreds of mini probes that scan the system, with each use of this station fuel is used up, so be careful to not use it all up at once. It will provide the ship with two new abilities, "scan planet"(it reveals slots ore conditions) and "Plot instellar routes" which removes the modifier of flight failure allowing you to be able to send ships without sensors there. At base TL1 sensors ploting routes take up a quarter of the ships tank with a 45% chance of success, planetary exploration is garunteed taking up 10% of the fuel tank. The ploting of courses and revealing of planets of course will only be residual to the empire who committed these scans.

Sensors effectiveness scaling:
2% increase with every scale above 1
0.5% increase with every subsystem increase above 1
0.5% increase with every advancement of sensors TL

Survey Station effectiveness Scaling(for ploting routes):
0.5% increase with every substem increase above 1
1% increase with every TL advancement
0.2% increase with every scale above 1( making scale 6 1% more effective)

This is all really a rule of thumb, what I envision how this would change game play would be a dramatically more involved starting game. I can see that sending 30 scouts per system might become common place early game. Galactic wars would become more tense since the race to plot courses to your enemies hideouts or ship yards would become vital. This would also make large galaxies seem more like large galaxies and you wouldn't be able to scout all of it in the first 30 minutes of the game. And just being a good player might not save you early game, since its not based on chance, until you can achieve high enough TL in combination with good scaling exploring isn't some cheap parlor trick.

I could just imagine the fear of not knowing where your enemy's true base is that is sending the marauding fighters to your colony systems. Or stumbling on a great find where you are able to scan/salvage a fleet of enemy mining ships that attempted to get to a asteroid field. I always thought star ruler was missing something and I now know what it is, its the chance, the mystery, being surprised by something! This would definitely add that, but Star Ruler will definitely need more than just this to fill in that gap.

I am a ultra-realist(even though this isn't realistic at all :P) and would love this to go with hand to hand what the modders are already doing to make exploration more worth while. It would be cool to hit a limit of exploration due to limitations of relativistic travel, and also have to worry about scanning etc. Of course all these feature could be automated into the ai, to help people who play on larger galaxies.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:51:52 AM by DattMuffinMan »

MindsEye

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
Hard to see how you will make maneuvers viable without some type of top speed. Regardless of real world physics a ship would not max speed if it is trouble to stop in time. Ship would limit top speed for safety margin. Kind of like a race car going around a track. Sure it could go faster but would crash at the next turn.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 05:15:19 AM »
Ship would limit top speed for safety margin. Kind of like a race car going around a track. Sure it could go faster but would crash at the next turn.

You rarely have to make turns in space unless your navigator fails do to his job properly.

MindsEye

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 05:43:23 AM »
True but seems all my navigators dont do their jobs well. When a ship is moving at high speed and I give it a new destination it takes forever for it to actually change direction or slow down. Upping the thrust factor helps but then all your ships have mega speed as well. Introducing top speeds would allow you to up thrust for course changes in a reasonable amount of time. If the next engine had a greater speed and thrust it would make it much more desirable as well as having a greater affect on ship combat.

DattMuffinMan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »
Anyways can anyone confirm that what I suggested, would be possible for AI players to integrate with? I know its possible to implement the idea itself albeit through some coding, but allowing the AI to adapt to this new feature would require some crazy overhauling. Thanks!

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
Anyways can anyone confirm that what I suggested, would be possible for AI players to integrate with? I know its possible to implement the idea itself albeit through some coding, but allowing the AI to adapt to this new feature would require some crazy overhauling. Thanks!

It possible, but far too complex to be worth the time and effort.

Edit: I should qualify that, its an interesting idea but I'm the only coder on the GA team, meaning I have a lot of things to do and so there has to be a limit of how much work goes into a single feature and changes to planetary exploration is enough in my view without adding complexity to travel between stars.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:15:05 AM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

DattMuffinMan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »
Thats completely fine, if I want to see this into the game that bad, I'll help code it. But I'm busy right now with NanoWrimo a event where you write a novel in a single month so I have my hands full. But thanks for the reply. Cheers! Good luck on modding:D!