Old VersionsExpanded Universe 1.3a for SR 184.108.40.206 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.3b for SR 220.127.116.11 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.4 for SR 18.104.22.168 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.4.1 for SR 22.214.171.124 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.4.2 for SR 126.96.36.199 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.5 for SR 188.8.131.52 (ModDB)
To install, copy the "Expanded Universe 1.5.1" directory from the ZIP-Archive to your Star Ruler\Mods directory. If you can't access the file, download WinZip here!Savegame Compatibility
Savegames from EU 1.5 are not
compatible to EU 1.5.1Known Issues
- Admirals currently only give a bonus to the ship they are on. Fleet-wide modifiers, as well as special traits per admiral, will follow with a future version (currently looking for a way to do this without much cpu pain).The research screen is crowded, i can't see the next unlock!
Due to the amount of new subsystems you might not be able to see all unlocks of a specific tech directly at the research screen. In that case, have a look at the Stellarpedia (book and planet icon, top bar, right side). You can click on Research there, then on the tech you want to know the next unlock of.
- Planets can now be invaded using millions of troops stored in dropship bays
- Defenders can improve their 'Strength' by adding Bunkers
- Capitols, Cities and Bunkers spawn Troops that can be used to defend (no Spawn during an Invasion, though)
- Invaders can add additional units to their Invasion army, like Tanks or Mechs.Stargates
- A new hull has been introduced: the Stargate. A massive vessel that allows you to create hyperspace routes through your empire.
- Design the Stargates how you like them: With defense turrets to guard the gate, maybe even engines to move it?
- Establish hyperspace routes between two station using simple Use: Tool commands.
- All ships that are the same size or smaller than the stargate can use them.
- Usually a higher range as the jump drive - in addition, a well placed stargate system can save the jump drive on most of your ships!New Shielding & Repair System
- The leaky shield system has been replaced by one more close to popular science fiction
- Shields have vastly more hitpoints now
- More different shield generators to chose from
- Shields under fire need a certain cooldown period before they can start recharging on their own. Remote Recharging Tools ignore this.
- Structural ship damage now has a similar cooldown period, which can also be ignored only by Remote Repair Tools.
- Structural Hipoints of a ship have been drastically increased. Ships without armor/shields now don't die from just one shot. This makes battles longer and more interesting, as you can see what points of your ship are the weak spots.Build your own fleet support ships!
- Install additional Remote Recharger Tools to your ships to restore friendly shields nearby
- Add Transfer Beams for Fuel, Ammo and Torpedos to a ship to make it automatically fill up friendlies in the system
- Replicate your Ammo and Torpedos on civilian hullsAdmirals
- Gain admirals while in combat with crew manned ships
- Can be used to construct an admiral bridge on a ship, which drastically improves the fighting capabilities of it
- Will be expanded in the future to include fleet-wide modifiersTerraforming:
- Terraform Planets to increase their build slots with a new Subsystem
- Terraform all Planets that have less then 20 slots to up to 20 Slots
- Terraforming is very expensive and time consuming, but well worth it
- Design your Terraformers how you like them: What scale, how many modules per ship...
- Everything is automated: Just build a Terraformer, issue the order and it'll terraform the planet until it reaches the highest possible level or ordered elsewhere
- See the progress of your efforts in the lower middle screen when clicking the planet
- The less the initial slots, the more the time cost to terraform a planet, as every following terraforming attempt will take 10% more time.Crew Experience:
You can now gain Crew-Experience (except civilians!), which currently provides a 20% Bonus on damage and repair rate when at 100 XP, 10% when at 50% and so on. Takes some time to reach that, though.
Note that Computer controlled ships do not gain experience, no matter if there is a bridge on the ship or not (to prevent exploits)Added three new mouse overlays:
- A friendly vessel's velocity is now displayed when hovered over
- The distance between two objects is now displayed when hovered over an object while another object is selected. Basis for all measurement is the assumption, that one in-game distance unit is one lightsecond. All distances are displayed in Astronomical Units.
- The minimum and maximum Range of an installed Jump Drive is now displayed when hovering over an object while a vessel with a jump drive is selected.Altered Ship Design Screen:
- New categorization for subsystems. Support was split into Generators and Storage, Weapons was split into Energy Weapons, Projectile Weapons and Special Weapons. Added the Orbital Production category, which contains Orbital Factories and the Construction Bay. Moved most of the systems out of the Misc category to one of the new categories (like Ammo Cache and Cargo Bay to Storage). The former Misc Category is now used for Special Devices only, like Colonizers or Repair Bays.Many small visual changes:
- Added new icons for the layout screen, like for Jump Range or Power Drain or the DSM. New Effects, like Orbital Production, have new pictures.
- Every new weapon comes with a new subsystem icon, the Emergency Generator now also has a slightly modified picture to make it more distinguishable from the fission generator.
- Added new effects for weapons, like short energy bursts for the Turbolaser or shells for the artillerySounds
- Almost every sound effect of the game has been changed
- All new weapons come with distinctive sounds (p.e. a takeoff sound for the boarding party)
- A basic implementation of unit sounds has been added. Much more to come!New Technologies
- Orbital Production: Allows the generation of Research, Food or Metals on Civilian Stations. Also affects the efficiency of the Construction Bay (which is not limited to Civilian Stations)
- Stellar Harnessing: Allows the collection of power through solar panels or the collection of dark energy when in deep space (aka outside a solar system). Dark Energy currently powers two advanced and very powerful weapons, but there will be other subsystems depending on DE in the future.
- Planetary Warfare: Increases the hitpoints of all planetary structures.
Will be the base technology for all Invasion features in the future. Specialized Weapons
- Added new specialized weapons to the game to increase the tactical depth of ship design and combat:
- Immobilizer: Nanite Rockets that disable engines
- Ion Disruptor: Powerful anti-shield weapon that does no damage to other subsystems
- MASER: Modified version of the former Phased Laser, ignores armor but is easily absorbed by shields
- Photon Cannon: Powerful hightech-cannon that ignores shieldsNew Torpedo Weapons
- Torpedos are a new kind of ammunition that will be provided by Torpedo Caches
- A ship has only limited abilities to carry torpedos, but they are very powerful long range weapons in returnBoarding
- Boarding Parties now need troops, which are generated by Troop Quarters at a certain rate per second.
- Both Crewmen and Troops are now displayed in the lower middle section of the screen when a vessel is selected
- Troops and Crewmen will now both try to defend a vessel in a boarding event.
- Troops are more efficient in close combat then crewmen, but suffer higher casualties in a boarding event as they are fighting at the front line
- If a ship cannot be boarded (because it is disabled or has no crew quarters), the Troops are returned
- New messages will now inform you about the capture or loss of a ship due to boardingElectronic Warfare
- Computers now come with a Firewall value that represents its protective power against electronic combat
- Electronic Attack Devices (EAD) can attack the Firewall of a targeted enemy ship. Once the firewall is breached, the Computer will suffer damage by these attacks up until it is disabled
- EADs can assist friendly ships in case of an attack by an enemy and aid in the restoration of the firewall value of a friendly ship.Hulls
- Hulls are now divided into seven different classes: Civilian, Fighter, Small, Medium-Sized, Large, Massive and Gigantic
- Each hull class has a different minimum and maximum scale and is usually divided into a normal (15 Slots), leightweight (16 Slots, Less HP), hardened (14 Slots, Bonus HP) and station (13 slots, superior HP) hull.Civilian Hull:
Scale 1 - 250, 20 Slots, No WeaponsCivilian Station:
Scale 1 - 250, 18 Slots, No Weapons, Can be used for Orbital ProductionFighter Hulls:
Scale 0 - 1Small Hulls:
Scale 1 - 250Medium-Sized Hulls:
Scale 250 - 1000Large Hulls:
Scale 1000 - 10000Massive Hulls:
Scale 10000 - 100000Gigantic Hulls:
Scale 100000+New Subsystems:Projectile Weapons:Machine Cannon:
Archaic Weapon that fires four-round bursts of solid tungsten bolts.MARKSMAN:
High-tech projectile weapon with an overwhelming range but low DPS.Artillery Cannon:
A Naval cannon adapted for the use in outer space.Gyrojet Cannon:
A hybrid between cannon and missile launcher that fires rocket-propelled projectiles. Optimized for a high range.Bussard Cannon:
Consumes no Power or Ammo at all, but is somewhat weak in return.Photon Cannon:
High-Tech projectile weapon that fires photon-layered antimatter warheads. Ignores Shields!Immobilizer:
Nanite-Rocket launcher that quickly disables enemy engines, but does not damage other subsystems.Conventional Torpedo:
Just like the name says. Comes with an explosive warhead and lots of range.Nuclear Torpedo:
FatMan in Space.Quantum Torpedo:
When a Nuke is not enough, fire a quantum torpedo!Energy Weapons:Fusion Cannon:
Fires a massive blast of energy and radiation at enemy targets. Devastating damage, but explodes the ship when destroyed.Point Defense Laser:
Single-Barreled Laser specialized against small space crafts. Turbolaser Battery:
Just like on the Death Star!Heavy Turbolaser Battery:
Turbolaser's big brother.Phaser:
Kirk's Weapon of choice!Ion Disruptor:
Powerful Anti-Shield weapon that does not damage any other subsystems.MASER:
Microwave-Emitter that burns through armor like through butter, but is easily absorbed by shields.EAD:
Disables enemy computers once the firewall is breachedSpecial Weapons:Dark Energy Impulse Cannon:
Fires short bursts of that lethal dark energy. Ouch!Dark Energy Disruptor:
Very advanced, dark energy based beam weapon. Overwhelming damage!Other Subsystems:Singularity Engine
: Not sure how it does it, but its fast!Antigravity Engine
: An Engine that only runs on Energy. Fighter Cockpit:
Provides crew, control and life support in one subsystem. Can only be used on Interceptors, Fighters and Bombers.Torpedo Cache:
Stores all varieties of torpedos.Dark Energy Collector
: Collects Dark Energy when in deep space.Dark Energy Capacitor
: Stores the collected Dark Energy to be used with the DE Impulse Cannon or DE Disruptor.Hi-Density Capacitor
: Provides even more energy storage then the normal Capacitor, but explodes the ship when destroyed.Zero-Point-Energy Generator
: Powerful Generator that is even better than the Antimatter Generator.Injection Device:
Greatly improves thrust output, but increases the fuel consumption drastically.Armory:
Can be linked to Troop Quarters to increase its effectivenessCoprocessor:
Can be linked to the computer to increase its Firewall valueOre Processing Unit:
Convert mined ore on vessels to metals and export them to the Galactic Bank.Remote Recharge Tool:
Same as the Repair Tool, but for shields.Transport Beams for Ammo/Fuel/Torpedos:
Transport the mentioned materials from one ship to another - automatically! Build fleet support ships to never get out of fuel and ammo again.Ammo/Torpedo Replicator
: Build Munitions and Torpedos on civilian hulls. Consumes Metals from the Galactic Bank.Other Changes:
- Re-balanced all subsystems regarding their level and which technologies affect them
- Research cost increased, while the benefit gained each level was reduced. Late game still bears powerful advantages, but the end-game "crazyness" has smoothened a bit.
- Fuel use by Power Generators and Engines significantly increased, to make technological advancements more important
- Generators, Engines and Weapons no longer provide Storage. Fuel Cells, Capacitors and Caches are more important now, especially at the beginning of the game.
- Re-balanced the costs of almost all subsystems. Overall costs were slightly increased, especially regarding Electronics. Labour costs have been increased by approx. 25%
- Re-named the Beam Weapons technology to Energy Weapons to be more applicable with the new energy weapon subsystems
- The amount of crewmen a vessel has is now displayed in the lower middle section of the screen
- Crewmen and (the new class of) Troops on board of a vessel will now suffer casualties when the hull is damaged
- Crewmen and Troops will now regenerate over time
- Ram Scoop Efficiency has been decreased
- All new AI Ship Designs for Remnants, Pirates and normal AIs which will be extended in further versions
- You can now jump to any valid object in range, not just stars
- New random Empires
for his StarNames.txt
for his idea to display the distance between objects in a mouse overlay
for creating several of the new subsystem pictures
for releasing his subsystem graphics
for his "Subsystem on fire!" idea and testing
for his testing efforts
for his testing efforts
for writing the new weapon descriptions
and of course to GGLucas
, for answering all my questions and giving an amazing 24/7 support!