Author Topic: [MOD] Expanded Universe 1.5.1 (1.0.6.2) - New update released (23. Feb. 2011)  (Read 59444 times)

Steiner

• Star Ruler Tester (Group 2)
  • Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile

Expanded Universe v.1.5.1
for Star Ruler v.1.0.6.2
DOWNLOAD HERE! (SR Database)
DOWNLOAD HERE! (ModDB)
DOWNLOAD HERE! (Mediafire)

English & German (currently outdated) Localization

Old Versions
Expanded Universe 1.3a for SR 1.0.2.8 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.3b for SR 1.0.3.0 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.4 for SR 1.0.4.2 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.4.1 for SR 1.0.4.4 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.4.2 for SR 1.0.4.4 (ModDB)
Expanded Universe 1.5 for SR 1.0.5.4 (ModDB)

Installation
To install, copy the "Expanded Universe 1.5.1" directory from the ZIP-Archive to your Star Ruler\Mods directory. If you can't access the file, download WinZip here!

Savegame Compatibility
Savegames from EU 1.5 are not compatible to EU 1.5.1

Known Issues
- Admirals currently only give a bonus to the ship they are on. Fleet-wide modifiers, as well as special traits per admiral, will follow with a future version (currently looking for a way to do this without much cpu pain).

The research screen is crowded, i can't see the next unlock!
Due to the amount of new subsystems you might not be able to see all unlocks of a specific tech directly at the research screen. In that case, have a look at the Stellarpedia (book and planet icon, top bar, right side). You can click on Research there, then on the tech you want to know the next unlock of.  ;)

Planetary Invasions
- Planets can now be invaded using millions of troops stored in dropship bays
- Defenders can improve their 'Strength' by adding Bunkers
- Capitols, Cities and Bunkers spawn Troops that can be used to defend (no Spawn during an Invasion, though)
- Invaders can add additional units to their Invasion army, like Tanks or Mechs.

Stargates
- A new hull has been introduced: the Stargate. A massive vessel that allows you to create hyperspace routes through your empire.
- Design the Stargates how you like them: With defense turrets to guard the gate, maybe even engines to move it?
- Establish hyperspace routes between two station using simple Use: Tool commands.
- All ships that are the same size or smaller than the stargate can use them.
- Usually a higher range as the jump drive - in addition, a well placed stargate system can save the jump drive on most of your ships!

New Shielding & Repair System
- The leaky shield system has been replaced by one more close to popular science fiction
- Shields have vastly more hitpoints now
- More different shield generators to chose from
- Shields under fire need a certain cooldown period before they can start recharging on their own. Remote Recharging Tools ignore this.
- Structural ship damage now has a similar cooldown period, which can also be ignored only by Remote Repair Tools.
- Structural Hipoints of a ship have been drastically increased. Ships without armor/shields now don't die from just one shot. This makes battles longer and more interesting, as you can see what points of your ship are the weak spots.

Build your own fleet support ships!
- Install additional Remote Recharger Tools to your ships to restore friendly shields nearby
- Add Transfer Beams for Fuel, Ammo and Torpedos to a ship to make it automatically fill up friendlies in the system
- Replicate your Ammo and Torpedos on civilian hulls

Admirals
- Gain admirals while in combat with crew manned ships
- Can be used to construct an admiral bridge on a ship, which drastically improves the fighting capabilities of it
- Will be expanded in the future to include fleet-wide modifiers

Terraforming:
- Terraform Planets to increase their build slots with a new Subsystem
- Terraform all Planets that have less then 20 slots to up to 20 Slots
- Terraforming is very expensive and time consuming, but well worth it
- Design your Terraformers how you like them: What scale, how many modules per ship...
- Everything is automated: Just build a Terraformer, issue the order and it'll terraform the planet until it reaches the highest possible level or ordered elsewhere
- See the progress of your efforts in the lower middle screen when clicking the planet
- The less the initial slots, the more the time cost to terraform a planet, as every following terraforming attempt will take 10% more time.

Crew Experience:
You can now gain Crew-Experience (except civilians!), which currently provides a 20% Bonus on damage and repair rate when at 100 XP, 10% when at 50% and so on. Takes some time to reach that, though. :) Note that Computer controlled ships do not gain experience, no matter if there is a bridge on the ship or not (to prevent exploits)

Added three new mouse overlays:
- A friendly vessel's velocity is now displayed when hovered over
- The distance between two objects is now displayed when hovered over an object while another object is selected. Basis for all measurement is the assumption, that one in-game distance unit is one lightsecond. All distances are displayed in Astronomical Units.
- The minimum and maximum Range of an installed Jump Drive is now displayed when hovering over an object while a vessel with a jump drive is selected.

Altered Ship Design Screen:
- New categorization for subsystems. Support was split into Generators and Storage, Weapons was split into Energy Weapons, Projectile Weapons and Special Weapons. Added the Orbital Production category, which contains Orbital Factories and the Construction Bay. Moved most of the systems out of the Misc category to one of the new categories (like Ammo Cache and Cargo Bay to Storage). The former Misc Category is now used for Special Devices only, like Colonizers or Repair Bays.

Many small visual changes:
- Added new icons for the layout screen, like for Jump Range or Power Drain or the DSM. New Effects, like Orbital Production, have new pictures.
- Every new weapon comes with a new subsystem icon, the Emergency Generator now also has a slightly modified picture to make it more distinguishable from the fission generator.
- Added new effects for weapons, like short energy bursts for the Turbolaser or shells for the artillery

Sounds
- Almost every sound effect of the game has been changed
- All new weapons come with distinctive sounds (p.e. a takeoff sound for the boarding party)
- A basic implementation of unit sounds has been added. Much more to come!

New Technologies
- Orbital Production: Allows the generation of Research, Food or Metals on Civilian Stations. Also affects the efficiency of the Construction Bay (which is not limited to Civilian Stations)
- Stellar Harnessing: Allows the collection of power through solar panels or the collection of dark energy when in deep space (aka outside a solar system). Dark Energy currently powers two advanced and very powerful weapons, but there will be other subsystems depending on DE in the future.
- Planetary Warfare: Increases the hitpoints of all planetary structures. Will be the base technology for all Invasion features in the future.

Specialized Weapons
- Added new specialized weapons to the game to increase the tactical depth of ship design and combat:
- Immobilizer: Nanite Rockets that disable engines
- Ion Disruptor: Powerful anti-shield weapon that does no damage to other subsystems
- MASER: Modified version of the former Phased Laser, ignores armor but is easily absorbed by shields
- Photon Cannon: Powerful hightech-cannon that ignores shields

New Torpedo Weapons
- Torpedos are a new kind of ammunition that will be provided by Torpedo Caches
- A ship has only limited abilities to carry torpedos, but they are very powerful long range weapons in return

Boarding
- Boarding Parties now need troops, which are generated by Troop Quarters at a certain rate per second.
- Both Crewmen and Troops are now displayed in the lower middle section of the screen when a vessel is selected
- Troops and Crewmen will now both try to defend a vessel in a boarding event.
- Troops are more efficient in close combat then crewmen, but suffer higher casualties in a boarding event as they are fighting at the front line
- If a ship cannot be boarded (because it is disabled or has no crew quarters), the Troops are returned
- New messages will now inform you about the capture or loss of a ship due to boarding

Electronic Warfare
- Computers now come with a Firewall value that represents its protective power against electronic combat
- Electronic Attack Devices (EAD) can attack the Firewall of a targeted enemy ship. Once the firewall is breached, the Computer will suffer damage by these attacks up until it is disabled
- EADs can assist friendly ships in case of an attack by an enemy and aid in the restoration of the firewall value of a friendly ship.

Hulls
- Hulls are now divided into seven different classes: Civilian, Fighter, Small, Medium-Sized, Large, Massive and Gigantic
- Each hull class has a different minimum and maximum scale and is usually divided into a normal (15 Slots), leightweight (16 Slots, Less HP), hardened (14 Slots, Bonus HP) and station (13 slots, superior HP) hull.

Civilian Hull: Scale 1 - 250, 20 Slots, No Weapons
Civilian Station: Scale 1 - 250, 18 Slots, No Weapons, Can be used for Orbital Production

Fighter Hulls: Scale 0 - 1
Small Hulls: Scale 1 - 250
Medium-Sized Hulls: Scale 250 - 1000
Large Hulls: Scale 1000 - 10000
Massive Hulls: Scale 10000 - 100000
Gigantic Hulls: Scale 100000+

New Subsystems:
Projectile Weapons:
Machine Cannon: Archaic Weapon that fires four-round bursts of solid tungsten bolts.
MARKSMAN: High-tech projectile weapon with an overwhelming range but low DPS.
Artillery Cannon: A Naval cannon adapted for the use in outer space.
Gyrojet Cannon: A hybrid between cannon and missile launcher that fires rocket-propelled projectiles. Optimized for a high range.
Bussard Cannon: Consumes no Power or Ammo at all, but is somewhat weak in return.
Photon Cannon: High-Tech projectile weapon that fires photon-layered antimatter warheads. Ignores Shields!
Immobilizer: Nanite-Rocket launcher that quickly disables enemy engines, but does not damage other subsystems.
Conventional Torpedo: Just like the name says. Comes with an explosive warhead and lots of range.
Nuclear Torpedo: FatMan in Space.
Quantum Torpedo: When a Nuke is not enough, fire a quantum torpedo!

Energy Weapons:
Fusion Cannon: Fires a massive blast of energy and radiation at enemy targets. Devastating damage, but explodes the ship when destroyed.
Point Defense Laser: Single-Barreled Laser specialized against small space crafts.
Turbolaser Battery: Just like on the Death Star!
Heavy Turbolaser Battery: Turbolaser's big brother.
Phaser: Kirk's Weapon of choice!
Ion Disruptor: Powerful Anti-Shield weapon that does not damage any  other subsystems.
MASER: Microwave-Emitter that burns through armor like through butter, but is easily absorbed by shields.
EAD: Disables enemy computers once the firewall is breached

Special Weapons:
Dark Energy Impulse Cannon: Fires short bursts of that lethal dark energy. Ouch!
Dark Energy Disruptor: Very advanced, dark energy based beam weapon. Overwhelming damage!

Other Subsystems:
Singularity Engine: Not sure how it does it, but its fast!
Antigravity Engine: An Engine that only runs on Energy.
Fighter Cockpit: Provides crew, control and life support in one subsystem. Can only be used on Interceptors, Fighters and Bombers.
Torpedo Cache: Stores all varieties of torpedos.
Dark Energy Collector: Collects Dark Energy when in deep space.
Dark Energy Capacitor: Stores the collected Dark Energy to be used with the DE Impulse Cannon or DE Disruptor.
Hi-Density Capacitor: Provides even more energy storage then the normal Capacitor, but explodes the ship when destroyed.
Zero-Point-Energy Generator: Powerful Generator that is even better than the Antimatter Generator.
Injection Device: Greatly improves thrust output, but increases the fuel consumption drastically.
Armory: Can be linked to Troop Quarters to increase its effectiveness
Coprocessor: Can be linked to the computer to increase its Firewall value
Ore Processing Unit: Convert mined ore on vessels to metals and export them to the Galactic Bank.
Remote Recharge Tool: Same as the Repair Tool, but for shields.
Transport Beams for Ammo/Fuel/Torpedos: Transport the mentioned materials from one ship to another - automatically! Build fleet support ships to never get out of fuel and ammo again.
Ammo/Torpedo Replicator: Build Munitions and Torpedos on civilian hulls. Consumes Metals from the Galactic Bank.

Other Changes:
- Re-balanced all subsystems regarding their level and which technologies affect them
- Research cost increased, while the benefit gained each level was reduced. Late game still bears powerful advantages, but the end-game "crazyness" has smoothened a bit.
- Fuel use by Power Generators and Engines significantly increased, to make technological advancements more important
- Generators, Engines and Weapons no longer provide Storage. Fuel Cells, Capacitors and Caches are more important now, especially at the beginning of the game.
- Re-balanced the costs of almost all subsystems. Overall costs were slightly increased, especially regarding Electronics. Labour costs have been increased by approx. 25%
- Re-named the Beam Weapons technology to Energy Weapons to be more applicable with the new energy weapon subsystems
- The amount of crewmen a vessel has is now displayed in the lower middle section of the screen
- Crewmen and (the new class of) Troops on board of a vessel will now suffer casualties when the hull is damaged
- Crewmen and Troops will now regenerate over time
- Ram Scoop Efficiency has been decreased
- All new AI Ship Designs for Remnants, Pirates and normal AIs which will be extended in further versions
- You can now jump to any valid object in range, not just stars
- New random Empires

Thanks to
- SRDominator for his StarNames.txt
- hatemonger for his idea to display the distance between objects in a mouse overlay
- MajorCain for creating several of the new subsystem pictures
- eRe4s3r for releasing his subsystem graphics
- Orkel for his "Subsystem on fire!" idea and testing
- JingleBombs for his testing efforts
- mecharm for his testing efforts
- Deadeas for writing the new weapon descriptions

and of course to GGLucas, for answering all my questions and giving an amazing 24/7 support!  :o

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:00:03 AM by Steiner »

Current Version: 1.5.1 for SR v.1.0.6.2

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
The description of this has my ears ringing with AWESOME. ;D

A few questions/things I noticed:
You have new sounds? Great. To be honest, I've been struggling to find and mix what I need in regards of sound effects for Galactic Armory. It's probably classified information (;)), but maybe a hint where you get 'the good stuff'? :)
The new troops/boarding mechanics seem very interesting. I especially like how you have an extra bar representing their current strength.
Cool ideas for new hull types. But, MAN, it's getting crowded in the hull department now! :D
I also like the idea of orbital production facilities. If the balance is right, you've got a good way to give a nice boost in economic strength while also providing a valuable target to your enemies. Nice!

I'm keeping an eye on this. :)

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
You have new sounds? Great. To be honest, I've been struggling to find and mix what I need in regards of sound effects for Galactic Armory. It's probably classified information (;)), but maybe a hint where you get 'the good stuff'? :)

I've gotten them from all kinds of websites which said either royalty-free or non-commercial use. I usually just typed in the sound effect, loaded some samples and mixed them / cutted them with audioacity. If you like some of them you can of course use them! If you want to have a look i can pack them and upload them somewhere.

The new troops/boarding mechanics seem very interesting. I especially like how you have an extra bar representing their current strength.
Cool ideas for new hull types. But, MAN, it's getting crowded in the hull department now! :D

You should have seen the Hull tab before i introduced the numbers  :P It might look complicated, but it is very very easy to get through once you've seen it. Glad you like the troop idea. :)

I also like the idea of orbital production facilities. If the balance is right, you've got a good way to give a nice boost in economic strength while also providing a valuable target to your enemies. Nice!

They are my main balancing concern at the moment, especially the research stations.  But it'll work, i think :)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
You should have seen the Hull tab before i introduced the numbers  :P It might look complicated, but it is very very easy to get through once you've seen it.

There's one thing that I'm really curious about - how did you limit the hulls to a certain scale range? The way I did it is by applying an HP penalty that get's more noticeable (and larger) above or below certain size ranges. But I find that to be incredibly ... clumsy.

Glad you like the troop idea. :)

Giving the boarding parties, crew status and (hopefully!) planetary invasions more depth is a great thing to do. The basics for so many things are already there, but filling them with life is what will make Star Ruler go from 'cool game with lots of potential' to 'legendary 4X game'. One feature at a time, so to speak. ;D

They are my main balancing concern at the moment, especially the research stations.  But it'll work, i think :)

One possible way is to make them very complex or resource expensive, so that they take a lot of time to build. Prettty much the same way it's been done with the ringworld, although maybe not as extreme.

ayrnieu

• Distracted
    • View Profile
It's still a fixed cost against a continuous benefit, whereas science labs continuously take up a slot that could otherwise go to some other use.  You might scale it so that a research station that adds as much research as a science lab, consumes as much electronics or advanced parts as an equal-level factory would produce.  You can scatter electronics factories across your empire, put in an electronics mandate, build up reserves, etc., while maintaining a very well-defended research core system.  Even if the station cost more than a science lab, the higher productivity and security of a core system would make it preferable to a new outpost where research worlds are pretty difficult to build up.

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
Nice mod you have there. The hull size seem a bit extreme though, anything beyond 1000 is considered too large to be fun due to the fire rate penalty and supplying such ship must be difficult (imagine the amount of ammo and fuel monsters like that must consume). Also, ship models from the stock shipset are like this :

Code: [Select]
if class == ColonyShip {
Model = colonizer
}

if (class == Carrier) || (class == Transport) {
Model = terrakin_carrier
}

if class == Cargo {
Model = terrakin_hauler
}

if (class == Station) || (class == CivStation) {
Model = terrakin_station
}

if scale <= 0.5 {
Model = terrakin_fighter
}

if scale < 5 {
Model = terrakin_tiny
}

if scale < 15 {
Model = terrakin_small
}

if scale < 30 {
Model = terrakin_medium
}

if scale < 80 {
Model = terrakin_large
}

if scale < 200 {
Model = terrakin_verylarge
}

Model = terrakin_huge

That mean ships above 200 are already considered huge by the vanilla game...
Maker of FRB mod.

Dadekster

• Distracted
    • View Profile
Amazing what you guys can do. This should be a great mod.  ;D

GhostBuster

• View Profile
You ready to release a beta for testing and balancing? Would love to give it a go. The hull and crew/troops stuff is mind blowing its so awesome =p

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
There's one thing that I'm really curious about - how did you limit the hulls to a certain scale range? The way I did it is by applying an HP penalty that get's more noticeable (and larger) above or below certain size ranges. But I find that to be incredibly ... clumsy.

Notice how the fighter does define its maximum scale? Thats how it is done here, but in both directions. If you take a medium-sized hull, for example, then scaling it smaller then 250 would result in drastic slot size loss. Same the other way round, but less drastic (Explainable with the hull just not being designed for this sizes). Many thanks to this go to GGLucas here btw, without his help i'd still try to figure out how to do it i think.

Giving the boarding parties, crew status and (hopefully!) planetary invasions more depth is a great thing to do. The basics for so many things are already there, but filling them with life is what will make Star Ruler go from 'cool game with lots of potential' to 'legendary 4X game'. One feature at a time, so to speak.

Yes! I am definitely looking forward to planetary invasions based on this, but i fear that it might just not be worth the effort as for now. Why sent troops to certain death if you can easily destroy the entire planet with a little firepower? But we'll see about that!

It's still a fixed cost against a continuous benefit, whereas science labs continuously take up a slot that could otherwise go to some other use.  You might scale it so that a research station that adds as much research as a science lab, consumes as much electronics or advanced parts as an equal-level factory would produce.  You can scatter electronics factories across your empire, put in an electronics mandate, build up reserves, etc., while maintaining a very well-defended research core system.  Even if the station cost more than a science lab, the higher productivity and security of a core system would make it preferable to a new outpost where research worlds are pretty difficult to build up.

This is actually a very good idea, making it consume p.e. electronics to run "field experiments" or crazy stuff you wouldn't do on the worlds you people are living on. I'd love to set an incentive to players to build up research core worlds like you mentioned. Especially in multiplayer these would be the targets for big and decisive battles.

Nice mod you have there. The hull size seem a bit extreme though, anything beyond 1000 is considered too large to be fun due to the fire rate penalty and supplying such ship must be difficult (imagine the amount of ammo and fuel monsters like that must consume). Also, ship models from the stock shipset are like this :

Code: [Select]
That mean ships above 200 are already considered huge by the vanilla game...

In a late game it is definitely possible to find use for big ships from 1000 - 10000. Anything above that, like the massive and gigantic hulls, are up to the player to decide whether he wants to spent the time and resources to build them. I know that 200 is already considered huge in vanilla, but that never really was MY feeling about a HUGE ship. In vanilla it is possible to have these giants too, but with the new hull types there is the possibility to design modifiers that are specifically and exclusive for those big ships, which could p.e. drastically reduce the damage for added firing speed, so you'd still profit from increased hitpoints. Of course supply is something to think about, but hey, nobody forces you to build such a large ship (like in vanilla).

Btw: The ship "models" now change fitting to the different hull types, so if you'll ever see that large flying city in this mod, you can be sure there are problems coming up for you.

Amazing what you guys can do. This should be a great mod.  ;D

Thanks! But credit has to go  to GGLucas and ayrnieu as well, as they have been very helpful in helping me out wherever i didn't know what to do.

You ready to release a beta for testing and balancing? Would love to give it a go. The hull and crew/troops stuff is mind blowing its so awesome =p

It'll be up for download very soon. I'd really appreciate if people would do some intense testing for possible bugs and exploits, thanks for the offer!

tsen

• View Profile
Question, why 13 slots for stations? They don't have to mount engines, star drives or other such things specific to warships.

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
How much slots would you suggest?

tsen

• View Profile
The same as a normal vessel or possibly +.5? As normally the difference between stationary installations and vessels is one of scale (but that question is moot in SR) something would seem to be necessary to divide the two.

Love the civilian ships and stations, by the way!

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
At the moment is set that stations have the highest average hitpoints of all space vessels. Hardened ships (which lose 1 slot due to this) have less hitpoints if compared to a station of the same hull type and size, so (for me) it seems to be fair that you can't use as much space as with light armored vessels.

So, there are two options that i see:

1. A weaker armored station (less hitpoints) with more slots. But that would mean ANOTHER new hull. :D
2. Make stations true beasts: Keep their hitpoints bonus, add +2 slots but make them WAY more expensive.

GhostBuster

• View Profile
Yes! I am definitely looking forward to planetary invasions based on this, but i fear that it might just not be worth the effort as for now. Why sent troops to certain death if you can easily destroy the entire planet with a little firepower? But we'll see about that!

Well the incentive is, you blow away a planet from orbit you blow away all the buildings, materials and people on the planet. You invade it, sure you get some resistance. But you get an entire free planet. All its buildings in one piece, any materials at the time on the planet are yours now (Obviously the space ports go to your bank now, but anything in storage is yours...).

If your a war going people and you take over a research aimed planet you may get several research stations better equipped than your own...

Now of course this sounds too good to be balanced so your mood on this planet would need suffer greatly... It would take time for this to wear off and you troops wouldn't return to their ship because they are needed to keep order. =p

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
Well the incentive is, you blow away a planet from orbit you blow away all the buildings, materials and people on the planet. You invade it, sure you get some resistance. But you get an entire free planet. All its buildings in one piece, any materials at the time on the planet are yours now (Obviously the space ports go to your bank now, but anything in storage is yours...).

If your a war going people and you take over a research aimed planet you may get several research stations better equipped than your own...

The following "problems" i see at the moment with planetary invasions:

1. Where do the defenders come from?

Possibility A: The capitol provides a fixed amount of soldiers.
Possibility B: The capitol provides a fixed amount of solders, these are your base "guards".  Certain buildings like Bunkers, Planetary Cannons add additional troops.
Possibility C: The capitol provides a fixed amount of solders, these are your base "guards". A new building, "Barracks", provides additional troops.
Possibility D: A mix of B and C. Both Bunkers and stuff provide Troops, as do "Barracks".

Possibility A and B wouldn't need great changes to your "build behavior", as stock buildings provide the troops.
Possibility D and especially C would need you to build additional, new buildings, to properly defend your planets. This would consume slots that you could have used elsewhere.

Is that negative? From my perspective it is not. You can still decide have an orbital defense that kills everything in sight (ships, stations, cannons) and focus your planet on production. Or you want to make them "safe", so you build barracks.

Of course this would need alterations to the governors, which would be no problem. It would be far to much micro if you'd have to keep track of this all for your own. Maybe an additional governor for a "well garrisioned" type of planet?

The question is: How many barracks should the governor build? I'd like to avoid the situation where a player complains that there are "too much" or "too less" barracks built on his planets.

2. What happens after the takeover?

Now of course this sounds too good to be balanced so your mood on this planet would need suffer greatly... It would take time for this to wear off and you troops wouldn't return to their ship because they are needed to keep order. =p

Tbh i don't know if it is possible to temporarily  lower the mood of a planet for a set amount of time, like 10 minutes or so. If it would be, i'd totally agree on adding this as "occupation penalty" for a few minutes, but not for the rest of the game.

Troop reduction is of course planned. Every troop you sent there will stay as its base garrision force. Else it would be completely undefended for some time until enough troops have respawned. Of course you could "speed that up" by sending additional "boarding parties" to the planet.

3. How exacly do you take over?

Do you take over by using a boarding party? Or is it a own kind of "subsystem" that can aim at planets? Is it a tool, like the Jump drive, or does it work the same way as boarding does? These are the questions i am currently asking myself.

To me, a seperate subsystem would be a must, as boarding and invasion is something completely different. Both subsystems would still "consume" troops, but at a very different dimension. So, you just cant takeover a planet with a troop quarter on a scale 6 ship. You'd need a ship specifically designed for this, one that can transport huge amounts of troops at once. Thousands, if not millions of troops, to be exact. But that shouldn't be a problem at all, as the amount of troops scales with the ship size.

Maybe invasions will be in with the initial release, if i can balance them properly.

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
The even bigger problem is with AI:

If the AI won't do invasions, it would suck to have them consume slots for planetary defense while you could just ignore that fact and keep your planets undefended, without fearing that you'd be ever targeted by an invasion fleet.

For multiplayer, this is something different, though!

GhostBuster

• View Profile
More things I was thinking of... You wouldn't really need to rely on barracks etc if you could have say a research which trains your civilians as militia/rebels. So a certain % of your population could be counted as Militia, which would less effective than soldiers but a easy solution so you wouldn't have to worry about a force which was not properly equipped by just investing some research into a research.

Which would also allow for some more complex calculation of the chance of success of a successful invasion.
  • You could then factor in not only amount of troops, but the level of basic training the general pop and militia has.
  • The conditions of the planet could and should be factored in as well. I'd love to see an invading force effectively operate with a noxious atmosphere, or where the buildings are built into a cavernous world... and so on.
  • Mood of the world. Go look at the spread of communism, when people are living in bad conditions they are very easy to win the side of, if you just say you'll have a better life under us.
  • Working civil acts into also would take effect. A world under forced labor wouldn't put up any fight in the form of citizens or militia, only soldiers would give a damn...

Just more ideas, all in good intentions. If its all useless or unworkable just tell me to shut up  :P

argent usher

• View Profile

I think blowing away a +20 slot planet is just ok if you know you can not defend him.
I also think this kind of "evil" act should give a BIG AGGRO boost on the AI threat table and lead to cancel all trade contracts or alliances.
In addition riots and revolts should be so terminated and conquer a enemy planet could give you millions of slaves as workers for your mines and high radiated planets. Muahahaha

Ok much still needs to be implemented.  ;)

Cheers and GL for your mod A.U.

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
Thanks to you both for your suggestions, i will be looking into this. Even if it can't be realized as for now, it might be doable with later SR versions.

Btw.: Two other new/changed subsystems will be in the initial release, the Ion Disruptor and the MASER. Look them up in the opening post to see what they do. :)

goffries

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
    • View Profile
are you the same Steiner that made the star wars: empire at war mods?

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
Ehh, no, that's not me.  :)

benji

• View Profile
Sounds like thim mod will be awesome  ;D

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
Here is a little progress update:

There are now two new Technologies, Orbital Production and Planetary Warfare. Orbital Production is used for Mass Generators, Orbital Farms and Science Outposts on civilian stations and will also influence the efficiency of construction ships. Planetary Warfare will be the main technology for the upcoming Invasion features.

Countless of little tweaks were done, from pictures to calculations to costs... also the categorization for ship layouts has again changed (and will stay like this, i think).  I'll release the initial version very soon (hopefully tomorrow!), so stay tuned! It will come with a little handbook of the new equipment and stuff.

Here's a little screenshot of the layout view:

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
I'm amazed how quickly you put these things together. Kudos to you, good sir! ;D

Looking forward to the release!

maximus84

• View Profile
This is a "Wet-dream" come true... :-D

By the way... today is "tomorrow", do you release it today or do you need more time?

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
I'm on it. Should be ready tonight.  8)

darth necron

• View Profile
Whats the ETA for the mod launch hurry cant wait i know its tonight how long before  you can post it??? i want turbo lasers and phasers hehehe this mod is gonna be just one word

SICK!!!!
Your Destiny Lies With Me

Steiner

• Delusional
  • Magnetize, Magnetize!
    • View Profile
I'm sorry guys, i can't do it tonight. There are only two things left that i need to do tomorrow, then it'll be released:

- AI Ship Designs (Old ones don't work anymore - SURPRISE!)
- Descriptions for the Subsystems (are 40% done)

I have plenty of more stuff in mind that i want to do with this mod, but you'll get the first version once these two things are through. Don't expect it to stay at version 1.0 long, though. But I'll do what i can to keep the updates savegame compatible.  :P

But hey, here are two small screenshots of a small, but usefull addition to the base game (in my eyes):

Yes, measuring the distances in AU might be a bit strange, especially when you realize that little Voyager here would fly at around 100x Light Speed.
But hey, its a game!  ;D

BTW: Thanks go to hatemonger for his idea with the distance!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:09:03 PM by Steiner »

Dadekster

• Distracted
    • View Profile
Now THAT'S what I am talking about  :o

Very nice work...*thumbs up smilie* <-- can't seem to find one for this board so that'll have to do  ;)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Awesome.

Don't worry about the delay Steiner, the final product will be well worth the wait, I'm sure of that. :)