Author Topic: "Orbit object" order for ships  (Read 969 times)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
"Orbit object" order for ships
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »
How about a new order for ships that allows them to orbit planets?

Let's say you want to defend a planet without building a station at it's orbit. At the same time, you want to make absolutely sure the ships you have in system don't wander off and are always close to the planet. In that case, just rightclick on the planet -> Orbit object - and voilà, you have a ship orbiting the planet. When you don't need them there anymore, just choose "leave orbit" and they're mobile again.

Thoughts?

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
Re: "Orbit object" order for ships
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
I second that idea. Guarding planets would be easier with ships staying close to them. But it should be considered they are in orbit of the planet, meaning they should have minimal fuel usage while orbiting.
Maker of FRB mod.

argent usher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:23:21 AM »
I second that idea. Guarding planets would be easier with ships staying close to them. But it should be considered they are in orbit of the planet, meaning they should have minimal fuel usage while orbiting.

Yepp i think adding more and more ship actions isn't a good solution if there exist already actions which would work too or simple vary depending on target.
As examples with GUARD/DEFEND -> ships or orbiting planets or other objects or SUPPORT would repair/refuel ships and space stations or trade cargo at planets.

But i think some additional settings like Sensor active/passive, Green/Yellow/Red Alert or the "mothballed" feature (SE V) would be cool.

Cheers A.U.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:30:54 AM by argent usher »

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »
I like these ideas. I also agree with argent usher's viewpoint that adding more specialized function it isn't good. 
But i think some additional settings like Sensor active/passive, Green/Yellow/Red Alert or the "mothballed" feature (SE V) would be cool.
I think some of these ideas are already introduced. However improvement of existing alerts wouldn't bad.

Dadekster

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
I like this idea as well however I don't care if they actually orbit or if they just hang in one stationary spot, as long as they move with the planet. Maybe make this command only available if the ship is in a fleet as well? Would that make the CPU requirements lower being able to copy just the fleet leaders spot? I wonder what it would cost in cpu terms to have a thousand individual ships all in 'orbit'.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »
I wonder what it would cost in cpu terms to have a thousand individual ships all in 'orbit'.

I suspect about as much as having the same number of regular stations.

Dadekster

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
Ok. You'd know better than me.  ;)