Author Topic: A bunch of suggestions.  (Read 1365 times)

Foraven

• Delusional
  • Fear the gauss weapons!
    • View Profile
A bunch of suggestions.
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »
Here a few suggestion for the Vanilla (some of them already in some of the mods, like mine (FRB))

-Slow population growth.
-Planet conditions and race traits that affect population growth.
-Weapon types that affect how much population is killed when bombarding (like bombs better than beams).
-Hull damage that can kill some of the crew
-Boarding parties that use crew (or troops) when boarding.
-Mood that affect population growth (happy pop breed faster).
-Bombs against planets.
-Colony ships taking food and population when built.
-Haulers that can haul population to planets that lack them to run structures.
-Structure repair rate affected by how much population is on planet.
-Projectile weapons with AOE explosions (good against tightly packed ships/stations).
-Limit armor plate count/size to hull types (light hull can have less armor than heavy hull and station).
-Mining ships that can look for asteroids outside system on their own.
-Colony ships that can set their own destinations out of known unowned planets (if left on auto).
-Weapon sorting targets by size (some favor smaller, same size or larger targets).
-Ships/stations spreading out more when orbiting planets.
-Bigger moons so we can see them.

Well, that enough for now. Any comments?

Maker of FRB mod.

Sarnian

• View Profile
Re: A bunch of suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
All great suggestions -perhaps that's why 32 people have read them so far and not commented!

It would be easier to respond if I disagreed with anything you suggest.

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
I agree with these suggestions. May be moons should be colonizable or/and affect ore max population etc. Most of them reminds me of Space Empires V. BTW game was great and FQM mod I like very much.

lethe5683

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
-Limit armor plate count/size to hull types (light hull can have less armor than heavy hull and station).

I think that's already supposed to be "built in" due to the very significant differences in hull damage absorption and HP.  One thing regarding armor that I would like to see changed is a limit to how much armor you can add, and possibly a different way of implementing the armor.  Such as having a limit of a certain armor "thickness" with each armor type having a variable thickness (with some minimum and maximum values) and also the ability to choose what order the armor is placed in (I know that is technically possible currently but it's not very clear).

Foraven

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
I think that's already supposed to be "built in" due to the very significant differences in hull damage absorption and HP.  One thing regarding armor that I would like to see changed is a limit to how much armor you can add, and possibly a different way of implementing the armor.  Such as having a limit of a certain armor "thickness" with each armor type having a variable thickness (with some minimum and maximum values) and also the ability to choose what order the armor is placed in (I know that is technically possible currently but it's not very clear).

That's pretty much what i had in mind, just said differently. I want a cap or a slot space for armor so there is a limit to how much you can add (set by hull type). Did it in FRB btw, and added slot space for shields, engines and generators too.
Maker of FRB mod.

Superking

• Distracted
  • Ohhhh Jobi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
-Slow population growth.

strongly agree
I Make the Bread

Foraven

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
strongly agree

I my mod i reduced it to 1/10th of the vanilla value, it does take some time to build up planets and it's quite possible to build structure faster than you can man them. My mod has less population damage per structure damage, but growth is slow enough that you can kill them off before all structures are gone (unless shields and bunkers and involved).
Maker of FRB mod.

wundte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
All the proposed things seems to be great!
Especially the colonization is too fast in the early game period

Phez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
I my mod i reduced it to 1/10th of the vanilla value, it does take some time to build up planets and it's quite possible to build structure faster than you can man them.

I noticed that change, and I'm going to start playing with that - but doesn't the slow population growth cause the governor to overbuild cities because the excess population hasn't reached 8.5M by the time it's time to build a new (Mine, Fact, etc)...?

Another side effect is that planets are much easier to clear - but I see you've touched on that as well.

You forgot to mention automatically disabling non-essential systems when power is low - which you effectively do with your 'Requires' clauses.

Foraven

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
I noticed that change, and I'm going to start playing with that - but doesn't the slow population growth cause the governor to overbuild cities because the excess population hasn't reached 8.5M by the time it's time to build a new (Mine, Fact, etc)...?

Another side effect is that planets are much easier to clear - but I see you've touched on that as well.

You forgot to mention automatically disabling non-essential systems when power is low - which you effectively do with your 'Requires' clauses.

Added so many small features like that in my mod that i forgot that they aren't part of the stock game. :P

As for population check, i think the game looks for maximum population and not actual number, or else the governor would build cities whenever people die from bombardment...
Maker of FRB mod.