Author Topic: 'Insert into orbit' option for carried stations  (Read 803 times)

Koruth

• View Profile
'Insert into orbit' option for carried stations
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:43:48 AM »
Hey there folks.  I recently bought the game on steam (That sale was *so* good!) and for the most part, I think I'm in love.  I love space, I love building empires, I love 4x, and this is the first game I've seen where you can move friggen *planets* around.  It is still a little rough around the edges though. 

Anyway, I've been colonizing systems more quickly by loading a dry dock, defensive satellite, and colony ships into a carrier, jumping it to the star, and unloading it all around the planet I'm going to use as that system's building base.  The problem is, it's a little inconvenient using the standard 'undock' to put a station in orbit around planets.

If you just undock a station, odds are it'll not end up in orbit around a planet, even if your carrier is orbiting it when it undocks.  If you're close enough, you can dock the station *on* the planet, undock it from the planet, and it'll be in orbit just fine, so it's still workable.  But sometimes the carrier places the station too far away for it to dock to the planet, so you have to redock it to the carrier, undock it again, and repeat.  Sometimes several times if you're unlucky, or the station is really large.  And if there are remnants in the system, you have to risk losing a colony ship, or worse, a nascent colony, since you can't dock the stations to an uncolonized planet.  It'd be nice to just be able to click a button and have the carrier insert the stations into orbit for you.  This would make it much easier to setup defense nets around non-construction-based planets more quickly than the planets could build them, using station movers.

Maybe it could be combined into an 'undock here' command for all carriers.  Then we could have military carriers move to a strategic position (or just another star system) before they launch their ships, making them a much more convenient force to use on a regular basis.

Skye

• Sentient
  • OMG WTF
    • View Profile
Re: 'Insert into orbit' option for carried stations
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
i love the idea behind this, and the strategy it developed from....

but the problem i see is that players will just do that tactic, but insert a massive space station of doom around the enemy homeworld.

but if it could only be done to neutral and friendly planets then i thionk it is a great idea
SpeedDaemon said: " The jump drive is the single most powerful system in the game. A big bad-ass ship/fleet is useless if it can't get to where it needs to be bad-ass AT before the situation requiring its bad-assery is resolved."

Hazzard

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:59:09 PM »
I've never thought of doing that. I am going to try that out :D.

Blind_Rifleman

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
Why shouldn't players be able to put a "deathstar MKII" around the enemy homeworld? It would be the same as having a flight capable ship in the same spot. It seems a solid enough tactic, there are risks and rewards to it.
Reaper codes faster than brains process.

Skye

• Sentient
  • OMG WTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
the Death star mkII wouldn't need to be in orbit around the enemy planet top kill it. but it would still be a very cheap strategy..admitidly an effective one in my oppinion.
SpeedDaemon said: " The jump drive is the single most powerful system in the game. A big bad-ass ship/fleet is useless if it can't get to where it needs to be bad-ass AT before the situation requiring its bad-assery is resolved."

Felius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
the Death star mkII wouldn't need to be in orbit around the enemy planet top kill it. but it would still be a very cheap strategy..admitidly an effective one in my oppinion.
Why would it be a cheap strategy? They would need to have a huge carrier to carry the station, resources that could be directed to simply building a moving ship equivalent to the station. The only station exclusive thing, that is, the artillery can't even be used from close orbit, instead being better used by being a couple systems away.

Koruth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:01:11 AM »
Why would it be a cheap strategy? They would need to have a huge carrier to carry the station...

Um, actually, once you have q-compressors (which you really need to have effective station movers smaller than like size 1000 anyway) you could just use a recursive compression. http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=3834.0

I've moved a size 120k station in a size 10 hauler before.

And as it is, you can *still* insert deathstars into orbit without a command anyway.  If your carrier's parked in orbit around a planet and it undocks a station, the station may very well end up in orbit on its own (I'd estimate a 1/10 chance of it happening.) And really, you just need to get the station undocked within weapon range.  It's not like planets move fast enough to dodge, even if they have thrusters.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:06:57 AM by Koruth »