Author Topic: "AdvancedSpace Elevator" Megascale tech for planet use.  (Read 610 times)

Kegereneku

• View Profile
"AdvancedSpace Elevator" Megascale tech for planet use.
« on: July 01, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
What : A planet's Structure called "Advanced Space Elevator" (Same scale than "loofstrom loop/launch loop" or orbital ring)

How you unlock it : With the research for Megascale construction.

Why I would do that : To reduce by half the cost of labors/launch.

Where can I put it, my planet is full : It's in space, it won't take any slot but you can only build one.

That's just something I though about, I wouldn't be surprised if you developed the game with the intention of adding this later.

Hazzard

• Distracted
    • View Profile
Re: "AdvancedSpace Elevator" Megascale tech for planet use.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
Could be like a mini ringworld then.

So rather than a ring world that spans the solar system, it's a ring world that spans a single planet.

Could be cool... although it blurs the line between stations and planetary structures which could be odd.

maxi

• Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:58:59 AM »
It would be rather something like described here, not a mini ringworld.

Kegereneku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:29:24 AM »
If you are thinking as ring like "Ringworld" or "Ring like Halo but around the planet", I'll say HELL NO !

1) You build a space elevator to get equipment into space.
2) You build a BIGGER space elevator to get meaningful amount of resource into space
2) Then, you use said "advanced space elevator" to build the ringworld.

A ringworld don't necessarily need a SE to stand, and an orbital ring is only a continuous line of satellites, which don't even need to be geostationary.

The other king of "ring" is like this.
It's like a thin ribbon only meant to rotate.
Because Starruler's ship don't have problem with interstellar travel, I don't think we can use their full functionality.

And as for "fixed" ring with infrastructure on, that's something else but you can use those :
- to build more space laser
- which can be used to push light-sail (same technology)
- as what would look like a Drydock if it was part of the planet infrastructure. (orbital mechanic make it easier to build along the orbital line*)

*I can explain if you want.