Author Topic: 'Home Base' Designation for Strike Craft  (Read 636 times)

Koruth

• View Profile
'Home Base' Designation for Strike Craft
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
So I've been using more and more carriers and strike craft in my armies.  I find they're a pretty good way of quickly setting up emergency defense for planets, and in war they're lovely for drawing enemy fire and harassing enemies faster than my capitals.  The problem is, strike craft tend to start to get annoying when it comes to *after* the battle.

Strike craft with ai set to autodock will just head to the *closest* dock, whether it's a planet, a station, or the ship they came packaged in.  This generally means that even if i don't lose a single strike craft in a run, I either have to spend a few minutes micromanaging, or send my carriers back to be restocked. 

It'd be nice if strike craft would remember which carrier they're supposed to go to.

And if we could set this manually by building a strike craft and then saying 'set as home base' on a ship or station, we could setup very specific fleets. We could put say, 10 repair drones and 50 fighters in the carrier, and so long as none are lost, the carrier will *keep* that ratio without any micro.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: 'Home Base' Designation for Strike Craft
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
It'd be nice if strike craft would remember which carrier they're supposed to go to.

They should, unless you order them to undock manually. As long as the strike craft are still being controlled automatically, they should return to the carrier they came from.

Hazzard

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
You can also limit their docking behaviour to just ships as well by unchecking stations and planets in the AI settings.

Koruth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »
ah, so that's the problem.  I always tend to undock my strike craft and give them orders as soon as the carriers warp in.

skeolan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:45:26 PM »
Whereas if instead you order the *carrier* to attack, it'll spit out fighters to engage its target.