Author Topic: 64-Bit Version?  (Read 1255 times)

SpaceBoy6

• View Profile
64-Bit Version?
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
I am wondering if there will be a 64-bit version of this game? It's just because i like huge maps.
- Conquerer Of Star's! -
Selling a inno3d 9500gt 30Pound(UK ONLY)

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: 64-Bit Version?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »
Unfortunately, making it 64 bit is not a simple task, and we don't have the time to devote to it.

Asrrin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48:19 AM »
Unfortunately, making it 64 bit is not a simple task, and we don't have the time to devote to it.

I understand the reason, but it's such a shame.  For many people the bottleneck to massive games is the amount of addressable memory the game can use, and a hard cap of 3-4GB due to the 32-bit nature caps the game no matter how many processor cores or video cards you have.

Though if you ever decide to make a Star Ruler 2... :D

Atol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:45:30 AM »
Well Not sure how much ram star ruler uses.  The limited Facter was not the ram.  It was the CPU.  Basicly how many AI is running.

Volley

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:25:32 AM »
i fully agree with Atol.
There will be quite some time until CPUs and Graphic Cards are powerful enough so the Bottleneck (in Singleplayer) will actually be the 32bit Ram limit. Also i'm not quite sure ... didn't someone mention PAE support once?
And in Multiplayer, the Bottleneck was, is and will always be the Network.

Anyway. You new players need to play a bit to realize that a StarRuler game doesn't really become "better" by increasing the System Count to unmanageable numbers.

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/8JPxE.png

Star ruler uses about 3 GB with a 100k Star map (no objects) at the start

It's also Unplayable. :P

To be fair the RAM is a bottleneck for longer games on larger maps (2k-9k) it just takes a while to show it's self .

Atol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
How many people play star ruler with 100,000 stars?  Now looking your cpu useage at 50%.  My guess your on a newer cpu which shut down cpus to overclock one cpu.  I bet your cpu is running at Max which can also casuse game lag.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:04:16 PM by Atol »

Texada

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:58:38 AM »
How many people play star ruler with 100,000 stars?  Now looking your cpu useage at 50%.  My guess your on a newer cpu which shut down cpus to overclock one cpu.  I bet your cpu is running at Max which can also casuse game lag.

My idea was to show the pointlessness of having it mealy for larger maps

that one has to make really really huge ones for it to be a issue

also it was only using two of the four cores I have (and that there were not maxed).

Atol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
See Texada we dont know your spec.  Only thing I could guess is you have 6gb of ram.  You saying you have 4 core.  That can be Intel P4, Core 2, i5 i7 or a duo core with hypertreading or Amd cpu with 4 cores   You are not showing us Preformance and If you can go into Control Panel then system.  Also type of cpus also helps tell us how your cpu Runs.  Like my cpu 4 core will overclock 3 different ways. It will start off by shutting down 1 core at time and overclock 3 cores, shut down 2 cores and over clock 2 then shut down 3 cores and overclock 1 cpu.

If you really want to play this game on HUGE worlds.  You might Want to overclock your system. 

If I was going to build a gaming system that would run this game on huge world.  I would setup a Water cooled System.  With the CPU overclocked 6 cores.  Grapics card it depends on the Brand that runs the most Stable at the time ATI or Nvidia .   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:00:34 AM by Atol »