Author Topic: more AI advantages  (Read 830 times)

crys

• Sentient
    • View Profile
more AI advantages
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
we all know the ai is not doing so good in this game, i thought about a few hopefully "easy" ways to help her.

i know you work on a new AI, but maybe this could be a quick fix or a way to help the AI without too much work(ok idk how much work it would be, but for some idears, there are very simmelar features already there.)

i would call them shadow race traits.

1. something to boost the AIs trade multiplicator(think it does not exist yet)
cheating AI should have lots of resources, but maybe unable to use them, because of lacking trade?

2. a more powerfull version of efficientrecycling
maybe as high as 50-60% - it would make ships/buildings much cheaper and less trade is needed to build more quicker

3. there are picks which increase the research level of some fields - maybe give something like this to the AI for economy research(this would be like point 1 but maybe requires little work to implement)

maybe a high value could be picked, they dont get ueber weapons or armor from this.

4. maybe even general science

the AI seems always slow in research, maybe this could help

5. i dont know enough about the cheating AI feature, but wasnt it somehow game time sensetive?
maybe it kicks in to late or to slow

i know an more intelligent AI would be perefered, but its allready called "cheating AI" so why not let her cheat more =)

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
Re: more AI advantages
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
The issue really is that the AI simply doesn't handle a few things correctly; it's not simply the amount of resource available, it seems.

I know people will hate me for this, but how about

6. someone dedicated and skilled to join the mod team for the sole purpose of rewriting the AI code?

Right now there are 3 active team members, and only one of us would be able to do this. It's a sad truth that pretty much all people who joined over the course of time have quickly become inactive (even the testers). So no... unless we magically grow in numbers, I can't promise any tweaks to the AI for the next release. Sorry.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
The issue really is that the AI simply doesn't handle a few things correctly; it's not simply the amount of resource available, it seems.

I know people will hate me for this, but how about

6. someone dedicated and skilled to join the mod team for the sole purpose of rewriting the AI code?

Right now there are 3 active team members, and only one of us would be able to do this. It's a sad truth that pretty much all people who joined over the course of time have quickly become inactive (even the testers). So no... unless we magically grow in numbers, I can't promise any tweaks to the AI for the next release. Sorry.

What XT said couldn't be more true, at the moment I'm the only code monkey and well between work full time and other personal life the scope of a complete AI rewrite leaves things pretty daunting and its unlikely that unless we get some new help with people that stick with it that the AI will be relegated to 2.0 and not the next 1.9.x patch.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

crys

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
thats why i thought about points 2-4

thouse things are nearly like features which are already ingame, it might be possible just to copy past thouse featues and add different values.
if it cant be hidden in the race traits to pick for humans, maybe it could be insane point values, with a comment in the pick, that it is an AI buff to make them more competive

i dont know how much it would help the AI, but it should help them somehow

edit:
about point 6.
im sure there are many things that can be improved, maybe some in connection to GA with less work.
but maybe we should give the SR staff some credit here.
they must have been/are at the same position, with the problem to enhance the AI.
if it was for time reasons or the financing of the programming hours for a better AI, they decided to go with the cheating AI.

my opinion here is, that it is not a bad call, to let the AI cheat more, improve the cheating for more difficulty.
i assume the coding for point 2-4 could be very quick, testing would need much longer sure.
maybe an "experimental" difficulty impossible(ok this could be more difficult to implement), could give the testing to us players - im happy to say, it cant be too difficult then =), i assume the changes wouldnt weaken the AI so it cant go wrong in this way
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:17:48 PM by crys »

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
thats why i thought about points 2-4

thouse things are nearly like features which are already ingame, it might be possible just to copy past thouse featues and add different values.
if it cant be hidden in the race traits to pick for humans, maybe it could be insane point values, with a comment in the pick, that it is an AI buff to make them more competive

Thats the thing though resources are not an issue with AI its changes to GA features and a few other things meaning the the standard SR AI is making choices that do not fit its decision tree and so cannot cope and either gets stuck or expands slowly.

edit:
about point 6.
im sure there are many things that can be improved, maybe some in connection to GA with less work.
but maybe we should give the SR staff some credit here.
they must have been/are at the same position, with the problem to enhance the AI.
if it was for time reasons or the financing of the programming hours for a better AI, they decided to go with the cheating AI.

No they didn't. The cheating option has been in since the basic AI at release, BMS dedicated a patch cycle to the Erudite AI creation when new features made the old AI unable too cope.
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

crys

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:12:21 PM »
im sorry that i bring this up again and again - i posted about AI difficulty in the big thread before.

i just hoped there would be some "easy" fixes to improve the AI.

i guess when i remember right, you already tried to give them more race picks in a previous release.
so maybe thouse suggestions were silly.

maybe the problem is with fuel and ammunition - does the "cheating" feature supplay thouse too?

i like this game alot, and youre mod is a good addition, but im still in desperate search for more difficuly, a greather challange =) - youre more active remnants  helped here a little.

im not sure i like multiplayer so much, because i use the pause function so often, and im not sure i like to organise all my blueprints before a game.