Author Topic: Mirage Shipset - Work In Progress.  (Read 5066 times)

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
Mirage Shipset - Work In Progress.
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
Hello everyone.

As some of you may know, I have been contributing to the Galactic Armory  for a few months now. Mostly some tech icons and stuff. Well, in my spare time I have been steadily improving my modelling and texturing skill on various [CENSORED] projects for Galactic Armory.
But since I love Star Ruler, and GA so much, I have decided to start a pet project of mine. As you may have guessed from the topic name, its a new shipset. I have been working on it for a few weeks already. Its still early in the process and I only have a few ships, but I quite like the results, so I have decided to go public ;).  I would say I still have about 2 months worth of work on it, with Christmas inevitably delaying the progress.

About Mirage:

This ship set is designed to be very resource efficient and easy to run. My Two main priorities in the design and execution is RAM and CPU power. That said I try my very best for the ships to look good. Most of the designs use multiple mirror planes in the creation process( left-right; up-down; back-front), so I find the name rather fitting the style. The use of mirrors allows me to gain a lot of fidelity from small textures, and so saving the valuable RAM.

The textures on the whole shipset are designed to be easily colourable. For now I am making 2 colours for the shipset: Brass and Battleship Gray.

I plan to post a few pictures of every hull as I finish them off one by one. Since I already have a few ready, this week I will post one every day, until I run out of finished hulls.

Today we start with the basics: Drone.
Its the hull for the smallest ships you can build. Most of the time you will actually never see this ship, as they are usually too small to notice on the screen.

It has 72 polygons and uses 256x256 texture. 72 is not the most efficient mesh for a drone hull out there, but I think its still acceptable.

Check out my Mirage shipset for Star ruler and Galactic Armory.
link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
Re: Mirage Shipset - Work In Progress.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Today I going to upload some pictures of the Fighter Hull.
Slightly more exciting than the probe, it is still one of the smallest hulls and therefore  both the mesh and texture can get away with being a bit crude.

The model has 187 polygons and uses 256x256 texture. For such a small texture I still think It turned out pretty decent.
link under my name.

YX33A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:25 PM »
The fighter hull looks like it's built as a spinal mount.
I like them so far.  Makes me wonder what the bigger ones will look like.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
Today, the last of the small hulls, its the Satellite.

Cheap and cheerful, with 227 polygons, using 256x256 texture. Nothing much else to it, really...
link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
Finally, today I introduce a proper ship... :D
The Light Hull is meant to be a lightly armoured support ship. Not really meant for heavy combat, but not a pure freighter (comes later  ;)). I had a small Frigate on mind when I was making this ship.

At 394 faces, its easy on CPU and uses 512x512 texture.
link under my name.

MindsEye

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
Nice remind me of the borg a bit

flopsies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »
These look great, remind me of Hiigaran ships had a baby with Terran ships from Freespace.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 02:49:15 AM »
lol. I have never played freespace.  I do love the Hiigaran ships, though.  :)
I am glad they are not a complete fail, then. When I post the medium hull this evening, I will include some pics of the Battleship Gray colour scheme, just to see  if you guys like it.
As for the borg ships... we will see. It wouldn't be too difficult to make a shipset composed of just some primitives(cube, pyramid, spheres, icosidodecahedron...) I would just have to make REALLY good textures to compensate for the simple meshes... but I must not get too much ahead of myself. I still have more than half of hulls left to do for this shipset.
link under my name.

Jon Micheelsen

• Contributor
  • Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
That light hull is amazing!  :o

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
The medium hull is the workhorse of your empire. Its "the" default hull, and so I tried my very best for it to look nice. A good mix of armour, fire-power and utility, this ship will be present in most of your fleets.

The mesh has 946 faces, still giving me some room for improvement, should I choose to tinker with it later on. It uses 1024x1024 texture. I thought I can't skimp on this type of ship. 1024x1024 is still only default resolution of all the vanilla ships.

PS: yes, Sulaco just screams out of this design, but that is basically the theme for the whole shipset. You can expect a heavily armoured variant for the heavy hull and a variation for the spinal mount hull ;D.
link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
And some high quality render, and the Battleship Gray colour scheme.
link under my name.

MindsEye

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:50 PM »
Great job those r really cool lookin

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »
Just a couple left now.
The Freighter is ...cargo ship. :o ...Imagine that! ;D

Anyway, this one has 1034 faces and uses 512x512 texture. The polygon count is a little bit high, but I can't imagine people having scores of these on screen at  the same time.
link under my name.

Jon Micheelsen

• Contributor
  • Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
Fast and efficient you are 8) I love the style, definitely very likely to become my shipset of choice, the way you're designing it!

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »
Station is next. I have 1 more finished after this, although when I started posting at the beginning of week, I was just finishing the Station hull. There are
more being produced ;D. Like I said the Christmas will probably delay me , especially since I am going back home for Christmas and there is no Internet connection there...

The Station is also pretty self-explanatory. It has 1200 faces and uses 1024x1024 texture. I could probably streamline the model a little bit to get the polygon count lower without loosing quality, so there is still some work to be done there. Also the station could very easily use 512x512 texture, but I left it bigger, since the stations are usually the biggest structures you build.
link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
The last one of finished hulls is the Colonizer. I have just finished this one over this weekend. Took me quite a lot of time make it look acceptable.
979 faces and 512x512 texture.
link under my name.

Space Voyager

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 06:05:33 AM »
Really cool looking ships.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

I got distracted by image post processing this week, but I still managed to finish another hull.
Spinal mount is your trusty Glass cannon ship. Massive gun with some engines attached to the end, this ship is not designed to duke it out in the front lines.

The model is 833 faces, just about where I wanted it. The screens and the render are made with 1024x1024 texture, but it was designed to use 512x512 texture with minimal loss in fidelity.
link under my name.

ac_snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
Nice.  These look great.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
I have just returned from my Christmas holidays. Before I fall onto my bed exhausted from the long journey, I can at least post a teaser. Lets just say the work on Mirage is getting on nicely ...(as in nearly done).
link under my name.

Atol

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
They are looking good. 

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:27 AM »
Ok, since I still have a couple of days of work to polish the ships to perfection, I am just going to do the same thing I did at the beginning and introduce a new hull each day and HOPEFULLY (this is no ETA!!) by the time I finish I can release the whole shipset.

Today I am going to show off the Heavy hull. To sum it up in one word - Tank. Heavily armored with minimal weak points, this ship is designed to take punishment, and keep taking it for some time. It looks a bit simple, but that just reinforces the feeling of strength in my opinion. The only weak points are the bridge sections, where I allowed the artistic sense a little freedom.

The model has 1096 faces, and 512x512 texture.
link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
I have a question. Can I somehow define Tanker hull in the vanilla Game? At the moment there are several hulls that are not used in the vanilla version of the Mirage shipset, simply because I can't define them. Is there for example class Tanker? how are the classes defined for vanilla? Actually its only the Tanker and the Mothership hulls, that I can't properly introduce in the Vanilla version. In GA version its easy, since there is a tag for nearly all the hulls...
link under my name.

Azalrion

• Delusional
  • Memory Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
Unfortunately without modifying other files in base game you might not be able too.

Available for base game are the :

Code: [Select]
if class == [ColonyShip, Carrier, Transport, Cargo, Station or CivStation]{
Model = [the Model name you specified in models.txt, in the first line]
}

or the scale options.

The other problem is base game has no TankerHull only fuel cells, and since most ships have fuel cells if it went before the scale options they'd always look like the tanker hull, and if it went after it would always look like the scale option. So it doesn't really fit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:28:26 PM by Azalrion »
GA - Mod Team
GA Forums

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »
Well, it doesn't really matter much if the tanker needs to be left out. Its one of the bonus hulls anyway.

Just a quick write up today.
Carrier hull is notable by two large ship bays on each side of the main hull. It is capable of transporting large numbers of smaller strike craft and act as a mobile base for them. It is not heavily armed or amoured, relying instead on the smaller vessels to keep it out of harms way.

The Carrier hull is not meant to be mass produced, thus I had higher limits on the polygon count. The mesh is 1614 faces and uses 512x512 texture.

link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:13 AM »
The penultimate of the proper ship hulls in my shipset is the Mega construction.
This giant dwarfs anything seen previously. It has got a massive and heavily armoured primary hull with 4 additional secondary hulls, one on each side. Each designed to operate even if all other hulls are compromised, this monster is not to be taken lightly.

I really like this ship. Ever since I have drawn the concepts for it I liked the look of it. Since this is one of the biggest and most expensive hulls, the polygon count does't need to be so tight. This model has 1696 faces and uses 512x512 texture. Despite the rather small texture, by the time I was making this ship my texturing skill has increased considerably, so I was able make it look acceptable even at such a low resolution.

link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
And a big render :)
link under my name.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
Well.... what can I say?
The ship set is fully finished. All of it. In two colour schemes. It took me something like 2,5 months to complete it, and I am really pleased with the results. :)

Before you head over to the mods subforum and try it out yourself, I would like to introduce the last hull.
The Gargantuan.

This Monolith in space is the ultimate ship you can build. It is heavily armoured, armed and has got massive internal space. Anyone has to be insane to actually attack this ship. :D

I had no limit on the polygon count fro this model, but very surprisingly I have achieved acceptable level of detail at mere 2580 faces. I liked this ship since its birth in my sketch pad, and I still like it now, fully finished.

link under my name.

MindsEye

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
I gots to say well done. My favs are the carrier and the station.

cause792

• Sentient
    • View Profile
    • Mirage Shipset
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 10:14:45 AM »
Thanks. :)
 I would also be interested to know witch colour set are people using.

PS:  If anyone haven't picked up on it yet, the Mirage is available for download at the mod releases subforum: http://forums.blind-mind.com/index.php?topic=5633.0

PS2: Azalrion have made a cool demo pic for me, here you go  ;D
link under my name.