Author Topic: Technique to make full use of all available cores?  (Read 797 times)

Plummtw

• View Profile
Technique to make full use of all available cores?
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »
Hi :

I am a programmer too. I just wonder how to develop a program that makes full use of all the available cores. Is Star Ruler 2 developed with C++ or maybe some functional language? what multi-thread library is used?
  Thanks.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Re: Technique to make full use of all available cores?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:40:08 AM »
Star Ruler 2 uses a custom engine programmed using C++. The multi-threading is of my own design and is based primarily on what I learned programming Star Ruler. How you make full use of the processor is highly dependent on the sort of problem you're trying to solve: What sort of memory sharing do you have? How expensive is each independent computation you need to make? Do you need results in real-time? Do you have strict ordering requirements? Without knowing a lot more about your particular needs, I can't offer much useful advice.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:57:43 AM by Thy Reaper »

EaglePryde

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: Technique to make full use of all available cores?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:46 AM »
Although i'm on the C# line, it's not very different. I can only agree with Thy Reaper. I'm not really a game designer but you need to know what you want to do and tailor everything towards your needs.

Multithread programming was atleast one of the basic stuff i learned in the beginning.

You are talking about making a programm and thus i assume it's not about making a game what could be even easier to solve.