Author Topic: How well does/will star ruler 2 handle multiple players with large fleets?  (Read 1149 times)

• View Profile
The first star ruler had a bit of a problem where having a reasonable amount of ships in multiplayer caused unplayable lag/rubber banding for the other players (presumably due to traffic). Has there been much work improving the networking for star ruler 2?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
We're taking a different approach to our networking in Star Ruler 2, but it's still too early to know how many players/ships most people will be able to handle. I fully expect it to use less bandwidth for similar situations.

VasVadum

• View Profile
You should also make sure Star Ruler handles missing packets well too.  I lose a lot of packets being on the world's crappiest internet, and Star Ruler 1 freaks out about that by doing strange crazy things.

Ynglaur

• Sentient
    • View Profile
You should also make sure Star Ruler handles missing packets well too.  I lose a lot of packets being on the world's crappiest internet, and Star Ruler 1 freaks out about that by doing strange crazy things.
Packets are pretty far down in the OSI model from "application", so expecting a game to effectively repair such connections on the fly is a bit much.  I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, however.

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
Well, we do deal with packets, and it is our responsibility to deal with missing data, but I can't know how well we will handle particularly bad connections. We do of course handle missing packets, but when there are too many it's inevitable the game will begin to make mistakes, sometimes severe ones.

Ynglaur

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Well, we do deal with packets, and it is our responsibility to deal with missing data, but I can't know how well we will handle particularly bad connections. We do of course handle missing packets, but when there are too many it's inevitable the game will begin to make mistakes, sometimes severe ones.
Thank you for the correction.  I wasn't aware that game designers had to handle network code at such a low level.