Author Topic: Propulsion...  (Read 1303 times)

Ragnarok

• Distracted
    • View Profile
Propulsion...
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:18:35 AM »
So, there is only thing that decides between wether i will prepurchase/purchase SR2 and that is the type of propulsion you will use
Will you continue with the approach SR1 used where ships will circle enemy ships in a system for hours without ever getting a fire solution or will this PoS (sorry) of a pseudo-realistic approach be abandoned for a less realistic thrust/throttle but enjoyable system ?

thanks

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
Re: Propulsion...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
We will not be giving up newtonian movement.

We will be improving the way movement works in combat.

Ragnarok

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
Well, that sounds reasonable. PLEASE, please make sure single ships and fleets dont endlessly drift around each other. It was the most, most frustating and annoying thing in SR.

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:34:31 AM »
We will not be giving up newtonian movement.

We will be improving the way movement works in combat.

A bold but good decision IMHO as it is still recognized by many as one of the most memorable features about SR1.

However, something that may be of interest to many, including myself: Are there plans to make it easier for modders to implement any kind of non-newtonian standard movement solution this time around?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
However, something that may be of interest to many, including myself: Are there plans to make it easier for modders to implement any kind of non-newtonian standard movement solution this time around?

The movement system is entirely within scripts this time, so there shouldn't be any difficulty in swapping it out.

VasVadum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »
I like Newtonian physics.  It works really well for us.  Helps people get in the mood for learning even.

EaglePryde

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
Although the complete Newtonian movement is interessting, it was not the most ideal solution in SR1. Because everything is in motion, the Newtonion movement like making a full turn and trying to break with your rear engines was a bit quirky and had undesired outcomes.

Try to break at a planet that moves and miss it, to just give it another shoot. Or try to break at a planet while facing your rear in that direction and have an enemy fleet going in your direction that shoots you in the back...not really desired.

If you truely can improve it i see no problems.