Author Topic: My suggestions for Star Ruler 2  (Read 6440 times)

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
My suggestions for Star Ruler 2
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
These are my suggestions for SR2:

More options for race customization: in the game Space Empires V (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPjZFyXyjWA) we have dozens of options to create our own race. Why not do the same in Star Ruler 2?

More shipsets: in some sci-fi TV shows and movies -- like for example Babylon 5 -- each alien race has his own ship designs and technology. So why not to play with a alien race with access to biomechanical, organic or even crystal-based starships?

More Megascale structures: in SR1 we can build ringworlds. But they are not the only megascale structures of sci-fi! So why not to build your own:

-Banks Orbital (Halos!)?

-Bishop Rings?

Artificial Planets?

Diskworlds (think in a Halo, but with many levels/floors)?

Orthogonal habitable rings?

Rak Mesba!!!

Well, these are my suggestions. Please, feel free to express your opinion about them.  :)

P.S: You can know more about all these megascale structures in the Orion's Arm website: http://www.orionsarm.com/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:13:26 PM by Septimus Oraka »

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
Re: My suggestions for Star Ruler 2
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »
More suggestions for Star Ruler 2!  :) but this time, the suggestions are for the soundtrack. I know that the responsible(s) for the soundtrack has (have) his/her/theirs own style of making music and I loved the soundtrack of Star Ruler 1, but I would kill for the chance of hear something like the musics of the list below in Star Ruler 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipvDuLYDrkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqFdzhNcLMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNggFWV2RSM&list=PLmDtMr5lWsEs_Nswl3Klgqug7Oz2FNxfE&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVnsF5bemo&list=FLz5W9l1GYVbHZiS_fviBjyw&index=48

I really hope that you can produce something similar or even more cooler than the musics on this list.  :(

MrBims

• Star Ruler Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
More options for race customization: in the game Space Empires V (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPjZFyXyjWA) we have dozens of options to create our own race. Why not do the same in Star Ruler 2?

More shipsets: in some sci-fi TV shows and movies -- like for example Babylon 5 -- each alien race has his own ship designs and technology. So why not to play with a alien race with access to biomechanical, organic or even crystal-based starships?

Having played and loved SE IV since early in its life, I would argue against looking to the series for good game design. In both SE IV and V, the vast majority of apparent 'options' you have for empire creation serve only to do things slightly different from other empires in very inconsequential ways. Organic ships still require all the same resources and perform all the same functions, they are just weighted more towards one resource and have some pieces of equipment that are slightly more efficient than their alternatives. Other apparently major decisions about your empire all follow similar patterns. None of them actually changed the way you play the game or how other players interact with you, they just piled on balance concerns and created 'optimal' builds. Players who just wanted to roleplay having a race with biological ships did so just by having a certain set of ship sprites, while players who didn't care about that but wanted to win every multiplayer game used the mechanics for biological ships.

More options is not always a good thing - more meaningful decision making is a good thing. Every new feature that they decide to put in the game comes with a cost in making the code and visual/audio assets for that feature, so hypothetically something should only put in the game if the benefit it adds outweighs the cost in time it takes to do so. I can't speak for the developers' goals or their intentions, but from what I'm seeing they seem focused more on getting the mechanics of the game to work in a plausible and rewarding manner than they are on fulfilling the pipedream of having aesthetics for all the races of Star Trek, and I think we're going to be happy with what they come up with for release.

GGLucas

• Dr. Evil
  • BMS Staff
  • Delusional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
Oh MrBims you understand us so well *swoon*.

"Meaningful decision making" is considered the first commandment in our office; we do like adding options for people, but we try to make everything add something useful to the gameplay substance or the fun people can have with the game.

We will almost certainly be adding race options, but we generally dislike trivial percentage modifiers that don't create more decisions for players to make. Your choice of FTL method is going to be playing a big role in race creation as well.

JackVonFlippen

• Sentient
  • Jack Von Flippen - CEO of Inherently Risky Schemes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »

"More options is not always a good thing - more meaningful decision making is a good thing. "

this ... is going on a wall plaque...and possibly ground into my monitor frame as well.
Rule 1: Only overrule the tactical computer if you know something it doesn't.

Rule 2: The tac comp always knows more than you do.

- Miles Vorkosigan.

SanderBuruma

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »
I think the way resource management is done right now is a good example of a truly meaningful feature that really enhances game play.

I think -if you'd want different races to really be different - you'd somehow have to make races fundamentally different from each other a bit like in Starcraft instead of just giving them different numerical modifiers and a few different ships that are game-play wise 99.9% the same.

JackVonFlippen

• Sentient
  • Jack Von Flippen - CEO of Inherently Risky Schemes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
You could make Races very different and in need of different resources as well... however I think that is really when You as a player build ships through the editor that are enough different based on the tech tree you choose to play against players who went different directions.

The very fact I can choose to make bloated and fat ships that shoot forever and take damage for minutes on end, but are slower than a snail is my prerogative. My entire fleet doctrine will have to change if I begin to fight a much more agile opponent. I will either have to change the fundamentals of my races ideals of how to fight using my current units and tech, or change fleet doctrines with new designs and play a way that forces me to change. If you don't change then you will find yourself losing.

If you made races so fundamentally different that you corral the ability to design your empire and ships in the infinite way currently possible, you lose why this game is fun.  If they did design in races that are so different from the get go, then still have races you can mold from the beginning.   SR 1 had all those stats you could change at the beginning of the game before you set foot into the universe. which is all well and good for a random play and the fact that resources were pretty much all over the place so you could have it fit your play style.

It would be fun however to modify SR with SR 2. since maps are now much more like Civilization with important resources, molding a race now to the environment is more important and natural. also much more ways to play the game.  In this new way in SR 2 being able to choose many of the same race bonuses and negatives while you build your empire would be great. Just do it as the game progresses... much like the research tree or have it based on some sort of colonization deal. Of course you would need to set the foundation Race stats, like your race grows slowly, and are green thumbs etc... When it comes to the Tech or the empire building, I think there would be some first 5 - 20 minute into the game race design points as you lay it down in the universe and see what cards you have been dealt in planets and resources.  This would be a natural adaptation to the environment a race and empire grows into. It would make sense why a race would choose a tech strategy that gave them more speed in their ships - they have a resource near by that can really build on that. Course that closes the door on something else, like engine space has to be a little bigger for the % boost. Give and take is the name of the game. Penalties make a race unique. It is how they overcame the obstacle. Bonuses really kinda hinder your growth because you center around something maybe too much, so it is really important to have negative effects when dealing with this part of a game.
Rule 1: Only overrule the tactical computer if you know something it doesn't.

Rule 2: The tac comp always knows more than you do.

- Miles Vorkosigan.

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:59 AM »
Having played and loved SE IV since early in its life, I would argue against looking to the series for good game design. In both SE IV and V, the vast majority of apparent 'options' you have for empire creation serve only to do things slightly different from other empires in very inconsequential ways. Organic ships still require all the same resources and perform all the same functions, they are just weighted more towards one resource and have some pieces of equipment that are slightly more efficient than their alternatives. Other apparently major decisions about your empire all follow similar patterns. None of them actually changed the way you play the game or how other players interact with you, they just piled on balance concerns and created 'optimal' builds. Players who just wanted to roleplay having a race with biological ships did so just by having a certain set of ship sprites, while players who didn't care about that but wanted to win every multiplayer game used the mechanics for biological ships.

More options is not always a good thing - more meaningful decision making is a good thing. Every new feature that they decide to put in the game comes with a cost in making the code and visual/audio assets for that feature, so hypothetically something should only put in the game if the benefit it adds outweighs the cost in time it takes to do so. I can't speak for the developers' goals or their intentions, but from what I'm seeing they seem focused more on getting the mechanics of the game to work in a plausible and rewarding manner than they are on fulfilling the pipedream of having aesthetics for all the races of Star Trek, and I think we're going to be happy with what they come up with for release.

Hummm...I understand what are you talking about and you (all of you) are right - more meaningful options would be far better than more options.

Now changing the subject a bit... what you think about all those megastructures that I suggested? I would love to see more megastrutuctures beyond of the good old Ringworld(s). :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:49:42 AM by Septimus Oraka »

SanderBuruma

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm more the interstellar artillery type.

LanceCriminal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:14:01 PM »
The primary reason to build a ring world is to use it as a stellar fusion drive.

The primary reason to want a stellar fusion drive is to teach other people the Kzinti Lesson.

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
I'm sorry, I'm more the interstellar artillery type.

Hehehehehehehehehe! Me too!  :D

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
The primary reason to build a ring world is to use it as a stellar fusion drive.

The primary reason to want a stellar fusion drive is to teach other people the Kzinti Lesson.

The Kzinti lesson???  ???

seronis

• Distracted
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile Link
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
Any code/mods I post on this site should be considered Public Domain. Borrow it, steal it, shred it into little pieces to your hearts content. I dont require credit but I appreciate bug fixes and suggestions.

BJH7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »
Isn't it true that pretty much all interstellar propulsion technology can be modified for use as weapons? After all if you anchor an engine an jam something in it's exhaust you pretty much have a cannon, now there's a thought a modification part  that allows ships to use their engines as improvised weapons, I've always wanted to hot-dog someone while in a battleship, can't think why...

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »

medchtsia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »
One of the things in star ruler I always wanted are space stations dedicated to farming like the ones in X3: Terran conflict and X rebirth.

Rawne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 10:08:58 AM »
I think more megastructures would be excellent, the potential for a dyson sphere would be cool too but balance might be an issue. After all a dyson sphere/swarm is capable of being an incredibly long ranged super-weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Nicoll#Nicoll-Dyson_Laser

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
One of the things in star ruler I always wanted are space stations dedicated to farming like the ones in X3: Terran conflict and X rebirth.

Good idea. If we can have station manufacturing ammo, electronics and adv.parts, why we cannot have farming stations producing food?

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »
Oh, yes... I forgot to say that there is one thing I would like to see being avoided in SR 2: the creation and coexistence of planets and supermega structures (yes, Ringworld! I'm looking to you!  >:() in the same star system. It would be much more interesting if we could (using the Ringworld Generator) literally dismantle  each world of a star system (and neighboring systems) and be able to use all this material in the creation of megastructures like Ringworlds and Dyson Spheres/Shells. At least, that would make much more sense than see planets and Ringworlds existing in the same place without any disaster of biblical proportions happening because of it.