Author Topic: Racial Traits For StarRuler2  (Read 1279 times)

medchtsia

• View Profile
Racial Traits For StarRuler2
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:11 PM »
I have many ideas about how racial traits with realism in mind will work. Here are a few of my own with their definitions.

Diverse Biology: Due to radically different weather conditions, numerous continents, and a diverse range of life on your homeworld your race is able to easily colonize a wider range of worlds than most.
Single Biology: Due to non-extreme weather conditions, little geothermal activity, and biology not common on most habitable worlds your race will have a harder time colonizing most worlds.
Extremophile: Due to the extreme conditions of your homeworld your race can easily colonize worlds that most races have trouble colonizing but worlds in the Goldilocks Zone will be harder to colonize.
Aquatic: Your race lives in water.
Terrestrial: Your race lives on land.
Atmospheric: Your race lives in the air.
Psionic/Psychic powers: While most races ether lack or suppress this power it is very common among your race allowing your kind to understand the universe and read and control the minds of others.
Psionic/Psychic resistance: While your race lacks this power your kind can not be affected by it for unknown reasons.
Impossibly working technology: For unknown reasons, your kind is able to create crudely made technology that somehow works no matter how poorly made it is and it cannot be welded by others.

That's all for today so reply with your ideas because I honesty just want this game to have a more diverse and in-depth look for races.

Rawne

• View Profile
Re: Racial Traits For StarRuler2
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:44:20 AM »
I like the idea of optional racial modifiers. Aquatic species could have an easier time colonising water worlds, a harder time with jovians and be neutral on terrestrial (the ability to make an aquatic habitat logically being easier on land than than in a dirigible-like habitat).

medchtsia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »
More Ideas and thanks for replying. Now with a focus on society and history.
Long history: your race has a rich history that goes back a few millenniums allowing the creation of a more perfect society than others.
Lost colony: Your race was once part of the past galactic coalition/alliance that fell after an unknown event but you have easier understanding of ancient artifacts.
Successor race: The precursors viewed your race with great interest and have given you instant access to their installations.
Hated race: The precursors viewed your race as savage and violent and have made there installations act hostile to you on sight.
I'm going to sleep, good night and see you tomorrow.

medchtsia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
I just want to hear the ideas of others...

Hello?

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
I have many ideas about how racial traits with realism in mind will work. Here are a few of my own with their definitions.

Diverse Biology: Due to radically different weather conditions, numerous continents, and a diverse range of life on your homeworld your race is able to easily colonize a wider range of worlds than most.
Single Biology: Due to non-extreme weather conditions, little geothermal activity, and biology not common on most habitable worlds your race will have a harder time colonizing most worlds.
Extremophile: Due to the extreme conditions of your homeworld your race can easily colonize worlds that most races have trouble colonizing but worlds in the Goldilocks Zone will be harder to colonize.
Aquatic: Your race lives in water.
Terrestrial: Your race lives on land.
Atmospheric: Your race lives in the air.
Psionic/Psychic powers: While most races ether lack or suppress this power it is very common among your race allowing your kind to understand the universe and read and control the minds of others.
Psionic/Psychic resistance: While your race lacks this power your kind can not be affected by it for unknown reasons.
Impossibly working technology: For unknown reasons, your kind is able to create crudely made technology that somehow works no matter how poorly made it is and it cannot be welded by others.

That's all for today so reply with your ideas because I honesty just want this game to have a more diverse and in-depth look for races.

Personally, I find the idea of a spacefare aquatic species ridiculous. The ships of such species would have to be loaded with tons of water - and that means too mass added to the mass of the ships, meaning that too much fuel would be used. I suggest using an Anphibian Species trait instead.

SanderBuruma

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
aquatic species would be perfectly capable of getting into space even with added mass. They can do plenty of optimizations. Aquatic species in our own biosphere need oxygen just like us, water is just the medium. A capsule optimized for single aquatic occupants (with similar biomass as humans) would probably be about 2t as opposed to 1t for humans due to added water. At any rate space faring aquatic species are not too far fetched, especially for a sci fi game.

medchtsia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:55:47 PM »
New list: category: resent history.
Description: I just realized that your homeworld might have gone through resent events that happened right before you became a space faring race.
Post-last war: Your homeworld has recently gone through a massive war that has caused worldwide damage to the planet's biosphere leaving most of it uninhabitable but has lead to the discovery advance weapon technology.
Post-Armageddon: Your homeworld has gone though a worldwide natural disaster leaving your planet mostly uninhabitable leading to the evacuation of you homeworld and the united effort of colonizing the stars making you start with a colony ship.
Revolution: Your race has gone through a massive revolution against it's past government leading to an age of reform thus causing your race to be distrustful of races with governments resembling your past one and more trustful of races resembling your current one.
Global conquest: You have just took over the world and now you have to deal with a higher chance of rebels.
World Peace: your race has just united peacefully allowing you to make peace with other races easier.
Dying world: Your homeworld is about to experience an apocalyptic event that will turn it into a barren rock in a short amount of time. You start with a colony ship and must change your capital to another planet as quickly as possible.
Unwanted uplift: your homeworld has been attacked by a hostile race but fought them off gaining new technology but having negative views of most alien races unless they're at war with the race that invaded you.