Author Topic: Music and SFX Feedback - Post here!  (Read 2182 times)

ShrackAttack

• View Profile
Music and SFX Feedback - Post here!
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »
Hey there,

My name is Daniel Swearengin and I am one of the composers for Star Ruler 2.  Jason Covenant is the other half of the composing team for the game and he does great work. We have a lot of new music being worked on over the next month or two and some stuff on the sound design side of things coming.  We have a pretty good idea of where the soundtrack is going, but we would like to hear some ideas from the community on other directions it could possibly go.  There is a chance something you suggest may make it into the game in some form or fashion, so feel free to post your suggestions and feedback (good or bad! :P) here.  We would really, really appreciate it. 

I will also be doing some demoing of some Works in Progress tracks and sound design in this thread. It will be updated frequently (almost every other day starting next week) and I would love to hear some feedback on that stuff. 

As an example, the Early Access trailer track is only an early WIP version: https://soundcloud.com/shrackattack/rough-sketch-star-ruler-2-early-access-trailer-short-version

TLDR version:  Anything sound related suggestion wise goes:

Music
Sound
Design
Implementation

Let's discuss it!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:04:37 PM by ShrackAttack »
Music guy

H2CO3

• View Profile
Re: Music and SFX Feedback - Post here!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:23:27 PM »
So what the overall theme?

Are you planning to use any of the SR1 soundtrack as inspiration for a song?

XTRMNTR2K

• Modder Extraordinaire
  • Delusional
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
The title track sounds good so far. I especially like that there is actually some more "oomph" to it at around 1:32, because that is what seems to be missing in the soundtrack as of yet. The current tracks are mostly suited to support the feeling of exploration and expansion, but it would be nice to see, err, hear something more powerful and - pardon the overused term - epic for space battles...

...speaking of which - is there a chance dynamic music could be implemented? So that if a large battle happens, appropriate music starts playing?

Oh, one more thing about the title track: Is it just me or is there some clipping going on at 1:40?

Thy Reaper

• BMS Lead Developer
  • BMS Administrator
  • Hopeless
    • View Profile
    • Blind Mind Studios
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »
The title track sounds good so far. I especially like that there is actually some more "oomph" to it at around 1:32, because that is what seems to be missing in the soundtrack as of yet. The current tracks are mostly suited to support the feeling of exploration and expansion, but it would be nice to see, err, hear something more powerful and - pardon the overused term - epic for space battles...

...speaking of which - is there a chance dynamic music could be implemented? So that if a large battle happens, appropriate music starts playing?

Oh, one more thing about the title track: Is it just me or is there some clipping going on at 1:40?

The title track is a WIP version. It was put in before it was finished so we had any title music to play.

We also have a dynamic music system in place already, though it hasn't been tuned in a long time. Not all tracks support it, either.

ShrackAttack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:47 PM »
So what the overall theme?

Are you planning to use any of the SR1 soundtrack as inspiration for a song?

Essentially right now a vast majority of the music in Early Access is simply exploration based so it is a lot calmer than the other music that will be in the game.  A lot more music will be showing up before the actual release with a good bit of it being pretty big and exciting stuff.  We are trying to do a bit of everything in the soundtrack so most people have something they enjoy.  A lot of tracks will end up being orchestra+electronic hybrid.

In a couple of the tracks I have done that aren't in game yet I have tried to draw some inspiration from the pervious Star Ruler 1 soundtrack and invoke some of the same feelings.  Artem had some good stuff in his soundtrack.

Thanks for kinds words on the title track.  When it is finished it will be roughly in the 4 minute range or so and hopefully sound a whole lot better :).  And yeah, see above for the newer music that will be implemented. 

And there likely is some clipping.  That was a very early, rough unmixed cut and there is a good chance I didn't even have my limiter setup just in case at the time.  It will be all fixed pretty shortly.

PS. And sorry for not updating the thread this week.  I had some relatives drop in unexpectantly that I hadn't seen in over 10 years.  I will have some new files to show starting Monday and would certainly enjoy some feedback.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:22:32 PM by ShrackAttack »
Music guy

H2CO3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
I checked out a clip you had posted on your Soundcloud titled, "Random Spacy-y Stuff"

The first sketch was really neat. I like the more driving beat behind it.

Next two were also good. They had a classic space music feel to them. You could put those two in any space themed game.

Next one on the track had a cool start and i like the transition from that upbeat to the slower paced part.

Continuing on the next sample, I found this one to be my favorite of the list. A really great mix of themes on that one.

Last but not least, the last one had again a cool back and forth between upbeats and dramatic lulls.

Im not sure if these tease the theme you are trying out. I just wanted to comment on them because they several have a really great feel already despite being trial samples.

TritAith

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
Could you possibly post the soundcloud links?
Sorry, English is not my native language, but I'm trying :)

ShrackAttack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »
I checked out a clip you had posted on your Soundcloud titled, "Random Spacy-y Stuff"

The first sketch was really neat. I like the more driving beat behind it.

Next two were also good. They had a classic space music feel to them. You could put those two in any space themed game.

Next one on the track had a cool start and i like the transition from that upbeat to the slower paced part.

Continuing on the next sample, I found this one to be my favorite of the list. A really great mix of themes on that one.

Last but not least, the last one had again a cool back and forth between upbeats and dramatic lulls.

Im not sure if these tease the theme you are trying out. I just wanted to comment on them because they several have a really great feel already despite being trial samples.

Thanks! These actually weren't the themes I was going to try out (and I will be posting some soon, I promise! Just been super busy getting stuff together). These were some random sketches I had done with SR2 in mind a while back, but didn't go with them. It's basically just extra material lying around that I just crossfaded into each other real fast.  I've got another 20 minutes of material that is similar. I might try to use one or two of them if I have time to put it in game.

Could you possibly post the soundcloud links?

https://soundcloud.com/shrackattack/rough-sketches-random-space-y-stuff - heres the random sketches.  I'll post the actual SR2 stuff as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:36:02 PM by ShrackAttack »
Music guy

ShrackAttack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
Jason has a lot of good music that should be implemented in sometime early September and I have about 6-8 tracks coming shortly after.
Music guy

Davor

• Distracted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
I listened to what was given in the link. I like it. Sounds very Star Rulerish, if that makes sense. I mean no disrespect here, I am liking what I hear, but does this mean that Artem is not back for SR2?  If not that is some big shoes to fill. What he did for SR was just spectacular.

From what I hear, I believe you will be just as great ShracAttack.

*edit* Finally Steam not busy, got the game and installed it. Loving the music. It is perfect. Great background music, so far I didn't hear anything that I didn't like. Keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:09:12 PM by Davor »

Septimus Oraka

• Sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
When we have this soundtrack available for sale on Steam?